The history of the vvorks of the learned: or, An impartial account of books lately printed in all parts of Europe : VVith a particular relation of the state of learning in each country.
- Other Title:
- History of the works of the learned
Impartial account of books lately printed in all parts of Europe
Works of the learned
- London [England] : Printed for H. Rhodes, at the Star near Fleet-Bridge; J. Harris, at the Harrow in Little-Britain; T. Bennet, at the Half-Moon in St. Paul's Church-Yard; A. Bell, at the Cross-Keys in Cornhill; D. Midwinter, and T. Leigh, at the Rose and Crown in St. Paul's Church-Yard, 1699-1712.
14 v. ; 22 cm (4to)
Vol. I (January, 1699.)-[vol. XIV.] (January, February, March, 1712) = Vol. I. [Numb. 1]-vol. XIV. Numb. 1.
- Bibliography -- 17th century -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.
Bibliography -- 18th century -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.
Books -- Reviews -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.
Books -- Reviews -- 18th century -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.
Learning and scholarship -- 17th century -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.
Learning and scholarship -- 18th century -- Periodicals -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Edited by Samuel Parker and George Ridpath (cf. Nelson and Seccombe).
Running title (verso): Works of the learned.
Imprint varies slightly; J. Harris listed in imprint in Jan. 1699 issue only; not all booksellers listed in all imprints in later issues.
Below date line on title page: "Done by several hands."
Above imprint on most issues: "To be continued monthly."
Advertisement for back issues/volumes follows imprint date on most issues from April 1699.
First part of title repeated as caption title on first page of text.
Issues include contents at end.
No. 4-12 reprinted at Edinburgh as no. 1-8 (Apr.-Nov. 1699).
Lowndes' Bibliographer's manual of English literature cites 13 volumes and one number of v. 14 and states that the work was edited by Mr. Redpath.
Vol. 10, no. 1-2 numbered 13-14; all other issues in vol. 10 numbered 15.
Publication suspended Jan.-June 1711; when resumed, published quarterly in Mar. (vol. XIII, no. 1, 2, 3), June (vol. XXXI, no. 4, 5, 6).
Some pages misnumbered.
- Local notes:
- RBC copy in original state with original sewing preserved in uncut and unbound monthly issues.
- Finding Aid/Index:
- Cumulative subject index included in each volume.
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Nelson & Seccombe. Brit. newspapers and periodicals, 1641-1700, 191
Nelson & Seccombe. Brit. newspapers and periodicals, 1641-1700, 191*
Times handlist, p. 34
McLeod, W. and V. Graphical directory, 1702-1714, p. 22
- Parker, Samuel, 1681-1730, editor.
Ridpath, George, -1726, editor.
Rhodes, Henry, bookseller.
Harris, John, bookseller.
Bennet, Thomas, -1706, bookseller.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|