Modern Scottish women : painters and sculptors, 1885-1965 / Edited and curated by Alice Strang.
- Edinburgh, Scotland : Trustees of the National Galleries of Scotland, 2015.
- Government document
128 pages : illustrations (chiefly colour), portraits (some colour) ; 27 cm
- Women artists -- Scotland -- History -- 19th century.
Women artists -- Scotland -- History -- 20th century.
Women artists -- Scotland -- Biography.
Art, Scottish -- 19th century.
Art, Scottish -- 20th century.
- This revelatory book concentrates on Scottish women painters and sculptors from 1885, when Fra Newbery became Director of the Glasgow School of Art, until 1965, the year of Anne Redpath's death. It explores the experience and context of the artists and their place in Scottish art history, in terms of training, professional opportunities and personal links within the Scottish art world. Celebrated painters including Joan Eardley, Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh and Phoebe Anna Traquair are examined alongside lesser-known figures such as Phyllis Bone, Dorothy Johnstone and Norah Neilson Gray, in order to look afresh at the achievements of Scottish women artists of the modern period. 0Exhibition: Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh, UK (07.11.2015-26.06.2016).
- From Annand to Zinkeisen: forty-five Scottish women painters and sculptors
A note on artists' names, abbreviations and contributors
Notes and references.
- Published to accompany the exhibition of the same name, held at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh from 7 November 2015 to 26 June 2016.
Artists represented: Louise Annand, Hazel Armour, Mary Armour, Isabel Brodie Babianska, Wilhelmina Barns-Graham, Helen Biggar, Phyllis Mary Bone, Mary Syme Boyd, Margaret Oliver Brown, Mary Cameron, Pat Douthwaite, Joan Eardley, Anne Finlay, Hannah Frank, Norah Neilson Gray, Ann Henderson, Gwynneth Holt, Beatrice Huntington, Dorothy Johnstone, Kathleen Scott Kennet, Jessie M. King, Princess Louise (Duchess of Argyll), Bet Low, Margaret MacDonald Mackintosh, Bessie MacNicol, Margaret Campbell MacPherson, Cathleen Mann, Margaret Mellis, Josephine Haswell Miller, Eleanor Allen Moore, Margaret Morris, Mabel Pryde Nicholson, Agnes Miller Parker, Ivy Gardner Proudfoot, Anne Redpath, Flora MacDonald Reid, Margot Sandeman, Dorothy Carleton Smyth, Stansmore Dean Stevenson, Phoebe Anna Traquair, Ethel Walker, Ottilie MacLaren Wallace, Cecile Walton, Gertrude Alice Meredith Williams, Doris Zinkeisen.
Includes bibliographical references (page 120-127).
- Strang, Alice, 1973- editor.
National Galleries of Scotland, publisher, host institution.
- 9781906270896 (paperback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|