The global rise of China / Alvin Y. So, Yin-wah Chu.
- Cambridge, UK ; Malden, MA : Polity Press, 2016.
- China today series (Cambridge, England)
China today series
xiv, 297 pages : map ; 21 cm
- China -- Economic policy -- 2000-
China -- Foreign economic relations.
China -- Foreign relations -- 1976-
International economic relations
- "This book sets out to unravel and explain the puzzle of the global rise of China: how, in just forty years, China has been quickly transformed from a poor, backward third-world country to one of the world's core economic powerhouses. Exactly how did this Chinese developmental miracle happen? Focusing on the key historical turning point in China's post-socialist development, the book examines the complex processes through which China interacted with the global neoliberal project of the late twentieth century. Alvin Y. So and Yin-Wah Chu reveal the centrality of the communist party-state in propelling China onto the world scene, and how it has successfully responded to the developmental challenges of technological upgrading, environmental degradation, inter-state rivalry, and maintaining its power. This book provides a comprehensive and insightful study of the rise of China not solely from an economic, social, and political perspective, but also from a global and historical perspective." -- Publisher's description
- Part I: the Chinese development miracle. Socialist foundation and the critical transition to state neoliberalism
State neoliberalism: the political economy of China's rise
Global economic crisis and the deepening of state neoliberalism
Part II: challenges of China's global rise. The challenges of catching up: technological upgrading and moving up the value chain
The challenges of staying in power
The challenges of sustainability: environmental degradation and resource depletion
The challenges of global rivalry: resource competition and territorial disputes.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 238-264) and index.
- Chu, Yin-wah.
- 9780745664736 (hardback : alkaline paper)
0745664733 (hardback : alkaline paper)
9780745664743 (paperback : alkaline paper)
0745664741 (paperback : alkaline paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|