Women, war, and violence : topography, resistance, and hope / Mariam M. Kurtz and Lester R. Kurtz, editors.
- Santa Barbara : Praeger, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC 
- Praeger security international (Series)
Praeger Security International
2 volumes ; 24 cm.
- Women and war.
Rape as a weapon of war.
Women -- Violence against.
Women and war
- "This set of original articles probes the breadth of vital issues surrounding the impact of war and violence on women globally--and examines what is being done to mitigate their effects"-- Provided by publisher.
"This title examines sexual assaults, rape, discrimination, femicide, wife battering, and maternal mortality of women"-- Provided by publisher.
- volume 1. Introduction: Women, war, and violence / Mariam M. Kurtz and Lester R. Kurtz. Gender and conflict : what do we know? / Sandra I. Cheldelin. Gendering vulnerability : are women victims of systemic violence? / Mariam M. Kurtz. Women, war, and violence : some holistic points / Johan Galtung. Structural violence against women / Kathleen Maas Weigert. International violence against women : prevalence, outcomes, and prevention / Danielle Dirks and Emily Troshynski. Women or weapons : the militarist sexist symbiosis / Betty A. Reardon. Gender, war, and the search for peaceful coexistence / Diana Francis. Are women the peacemakers? : Are men the warmakers? : exploring the intersection of gender and militarization / Lynne M. Woehrle. Violence against immigrant women / Pilar Rodríguez Martínez. Trafficking in women : dynamics, debates, and disconnects / Maryann Bylander. Wartime rape : a case study of the Democratic Republic of Congo / Mariam M. Kurtz and Mwamini Thambwe Diggs. Women's roles in everyday armed violence and cease-fire pacts in a Caracas barrio / Manuel Llorens, Verónica Zubillaga, and John Souto. When daughters are unwanted : sex determination tests in India / Madhu Purnima Kishwar. Banalization of violence as a self-protection of the psychism / Miriam Gutiérrez-Otero. Sharia law and its implications for women's status and rights / Saira Yamin. Lebanese women's nonviolence : action and discourse / Rita Stephan and Nicole Khoury. The Syrian revolution as lived and led by women activists / Rajaa Altalli and Anne-Marie Codur. Women and the Egyptian revolution : a dream deferred? / Althea M. Middleton-Detzner, Jillian M. Slutzker, Samuel F. Chapple-Sokol, and Sana A. Mahmood. The Egyptian revolution empowers women / Mariam M. Kurtz. Women in combat : the quest for full inclusion / Meredith Kleykamp and Molly Clever. Spousal PTSD : eradicating the cycle of violence / Jonathan Edmunds
volume 2. Preventing violence against women : four strategies / Riane Eisler. Women in civil resistance / Anne-Marie Codur and Mary Elizabeth King. Women and civil rights : a personal reflection / Mary Elizabeth King. UN women : holistic global advocacy to address violence against women / Erin M. Stephens. Violence against women / Dorota Gierycz. Establishing rape as a crime against humanity : innovations and reactions from African nations / Susan F. Hirsch and Caroline Sarkis. India's anti-rape law reform : the need for a surgeon's precision / Madhu Purnima Kishwar. Women and diplomacy : the case for inclusive security / Swanee Hunt and Deborah Cavin. Fighting violence against women : a toolkit / Lester R. Kurtz. Trafficking in human beings : a gender- and rights-based approach / Dorota Gierycz. Patriarchy, pedagogy, and learning toward a culture of peace / Betty A. Reardon. Human rights education : a key to eliminating violence against women in India / Anamika Gupta. "Conduct unbecoming" : prosecuting sexual assault in the military / Ashley M. Belyea. Violence against the environment : women taking action / Leeanne E. Alonso, Shivani Bhalla, Alexis Bermudez, Mary K. Cline, Christina M.E. Ellis, Ana Liz Flores, Renée González Montagut, Martha M. Hurley, Rebecca Kormos, Patricia Moreno-Casasola, and Annette L. Tjon Sie Fat.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Kurtz, Mariam M., editor.
Kurtz, Lester R., editor.
- 9781440828805 (hardback : alk. paper)
1440828806 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|