Leadership and polity in Mississippian society / edited by Brian M. Butler and Paul D. Welch.
- Carbondale : Center for Archaeological Investigations, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, c2006.
- Conference Name:
- Visiting Scholar Conference (20th : 2003 : Southern Illinois University at Carbondale)
- Occasional paper (Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Center for Archaeological Investigations) ; no. 33.
Occasional paper / Center for Archaeological Investigations, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale ; no. 33
xiii, 410 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
- Mississippian culture -- Congresses.
Indians of North America -- Southern States -- Politics and government -- Congresses.
Chiefdoms -- Southern States -- History -- Congresses.
Social structure -- Southern States -- History -- Congresses.
Indians of North America -- Southern States -- Antiquities -- Congresses.
Southern States -- Antiquities -- Congresses.
Carbondale, Ill. <2002-2003>
- Borne on a litter with much prestige / Paul D. Welch and Brian M. Butler
Persuasive politics and domination at Cahokia and Moundville / Robin A. Beck, Jr.
Square pegs in round holes : organizational diversity between early Moundville and Cahokia / Gregory D. Wilson, Jon Marcoux and Brad Koldehoff
Leadership strategies and the nature of Mississippian chiefdoms in northern Georgia / Adam King
The foundations of leadership in Mississippian chiefdoms : perspectives from Lake Jackson and Upper Nodena / Claudine Payne
Walls as symbols of political, economic, and military might / Sissel Schroeder
Platforms as chiefs : comparing mound sequences in western Kentucky / Kit W. Wesler
Leadership at the edge / Maureen S. Myers
Different but the same : social integration of households in Mississippian chiefdoms / Ramie A. Gougeon
Where's the power in mound building? An Eastern Woodlands perspective / James Brown
Interpreting anomalous rural Mississippian settlements : leadership from below / Paul D. Welch
The ritualization of Cahokia : the structure and organization of early Cahokia crafts / John E. Kelly
Gendered contexts of Mississippian Leadership in southern Appalachia / Lynne P. Sullivan
The power of diversity : the roles of migration and hybridity in culture change / Susan M. Alt
Late Mississippian Caborn-Welborn social and political relationships / David Pollack
Mississippian migration and emplacement in the lower Ohio Valley / Charles R. Cobb and Brian M. Butler
Southeast, Southwest, Mexico : continental perspectives on Mississippian polities / Peter N. Peregrine and Stephen H. Lekson
Ancestors or chiefs : Comparing social archaeologies in eastern North America and temperate Europe / Detlef Gronenborn
Afterword : Lenses on Mississippian leadership / Norman Yoffee.
- Papers presented at the Center for Archaeological Investigations' 20th annual Visiting Scholar Conference, held at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, March 2003.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Butler, Brian M.
Welch, Paul D., 1955-
Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Center for Archaeological Investigations.
George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|