The essential Gandhi : an anthology of his writings on his life, work, and ideas / edited by Louis Fischer ; preface by Eknath Easwaran.
- Standardized Title:
- Works. Selections. 2002. Vintage
- [2nd ed.]
- New York : Vintage Books, a division of Random House, Inc., .
- Vintage spiritual classics.
Vintage spiritual classics
xxvi, , 338,  pages ; 21 cm.
- Gandhi, Mahatma, 1869-1948.
Statesmen -- India -- Biography.
- Mohandas K. Gandhi, called Mahatma ("great soul"), was the father of modern India, but his influence has spread well beyond the subcontinent and is as important today as it was in the first part of the twentieth century and during this nation's own civil rights movement. Taken from Gandhi's writings throughout his life, this text introduces the reader to Gandhi's thoughts on politics, spirituality, poverty, suffering, love, non-violence, civil disobedience, and his own life. The pieces collected here, with explanatory head notes by Gandhi biographer Louis Fischer, offer a clearest, thorough portrait of a great spiritual leader.
- pt. 1. The man. Beginnings of a great man
Gandhi in England
The method is born
Victory in South Africa
pt. 2. The Mahatma. Facing the British in India
Segregation in India
Civil disobedience succeeds
Murder in an Indian garden
Gandhi's road to jail
The power of the mind
National independence is not enough
Gandhi's message to all men
Gandhi's political principles
Belief and human welfare
Sex, sanitation, and segregation
The liberty march
How to enjoy jail
Fast against Indian prejudice
Blueprint for a better life
Gandhi on socialism and communism
Gandhi about himself
Gandhi's advice to negroes
Love versus war and dictators
Independence and sorrow
- "A Vintage Spiritual Classics Edition, November 2002."
"This edition was first published with a different forward by Vintage Books, a division of Random House, Inc., New York, in 1983."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Fischer, Louis, 1896-1970.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- 1400030501 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|