The mythical Indies and Columbus's apocalyptic letter : imagining the Americas in the late Middle Ages / Elizabeth Moore Willingham.
- Brighton : Sussex Academic Press, 2015.
xxii, 394 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : ǂb facsimiles ; ǂc 25 cm
- Columbus, Christopher. Carta (Feb. 18, 1493).
America -- Early accounts to 1600.
Columbus, Christopher -- Correspondence.
Explorers -- America -- Correspondence.
Explorers -- Spain -- Correspondence.
America -- Discovery and exploration -- Spanish -- Sources.
Carta (Feb. 18, 1493) (Columbus, Christopher).
Discovery and exploration, Spanish.
- Early works.
Records and correspondence.
- "With his Letter of 1493 to the court of Spain, Christopher Columbus heralded his first voyage to the present-day Americas, creating visions that seduced the European imagination and birthing a fascination with those 'new' lands and their inhabitants that continues today. Columbus's epistolary announcement travelled from country to country in a late-medieval media event--and the rest, as has been observed, is history. The Letter has long been the object of speculation concerning its authorship and intention: British historian Cecil Jane questions whether Columbus could read and write prior to the first voyage while Demetrio Ramos argues that King Ferdinand and a minister composed the Letter and had it printed in the Spanish folio. The Letter has figured in studies of Spanish imperialism and of discovery and colonial period history, but it also offers insights into Columbus's passions and motives as he reinvents himself and retails his vision of Peter Martyr's Novus orbis to men and women for whom Columbus was as unknown as the places he claimed to have visited. The central feature of the book is its annotated variorum edition of the Spanish Letter, together with an annotated English translation and word and name glossaries"--Provided by publisher.
- Foreword: Aims and apparatus
An introduction to Columbus's letter
Discovery and commerce : a letter in folio
A slippery job : identifying the folio's printer
Lasting impressions : the initial and the types
The letter goes abroad : the Roman connection
Lost, found, and yet undiscovered : peninsular quartos
Manuscripts : real and imagined
Reading the Variorum
A Variorum edition of the Spanish folio
Debriefing : ink and paper, men, and stemma
An English translation of the folio
Parsing the reading
Columbus and his apocalyptic letter
Guide to abbreviations, frequent short references, proper names and symbols
Publications of the Columbus letter
Incunabula and early sixteenth-century books cited.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library (University of Pennsylvania)
- Columbus, Christopher. Carta (Feb. 18, 1493). English & Spanish.
9781845197018 (pbk. :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|