Hoards : hidden history / Eleanor Ghey.
- London : British Museum Press, 2015.
128 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 22 cm.
- Hoards, Prehistoric -- Great Britain.
Coin hoards -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Antiquities.
- An investigation into the most interesting and bountiful hoards from every era, examining the finds themselves and the motives of the people who abandoned them For centuries people have been hoarding their personal belongings and leaving a wealth of magnificent forgotten riches for archaeologists, metal detectorists or ordinary passers-by to discover. Many of the rarest and most beautiful objects in museum collections were once deliberately buried by their owners and rediscovered only by chance.This book will investigate the most fascinating discoveries andstudy the practise of hoarding itself. From Bronze-Age weapondeposits, Greek and Roman coin hoards and Viking wealthto gold sovereigns hidden during World War II, this book willconsider who the hoarders were and what might have compelledthem - economic upheaval, war, or more complex social andritual customs.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 121-123) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Charles Wendell David Library Fund.
- Charles Wendell David Library Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|