Skilled work : American craft in the Renwick Gallery, National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.
- Washington, D.C. : Smithsonian Institution Press, ©1998.
191 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 31 cm
- Renwick Gallery -- Catalogs.
Decorative arts -- United States -- Catalogs.
Decorative arts -- Washington (D.C.) -- Catalogs.
Washington (D.C.) -- Renwick Gallery.
- "Marking its twenty-fifth anniversary in 1997, the Renwick Gallery has become the nation's premier showcase and study center for objects made of metal, fiber, wood, clay, and glass. As a curatorial department of the National Museum of American Art, the Renwick has grown from a kunsthalle for temporary exhibitions to a museum branch dedicated to collecting, research, publications, exhibitions, and education. The Renwick's efforts have played a major role in heightening public appreciation of crafts and providing encouragement to those who create them." "This book serves as an introduction to the world of modern crafts, exploring in both words and pictures the vibrant diversity of objects that have entered the Renwick Gallery's collection. In his essay for the book, curator-in-charge Kenneth R. Trapp traces the Renwick's history, highlighting the contributions of his predecessors and the many other people whose commitment to the gallery has ensured its success, notably the James Renwick Alliance. In his essay Howard Risatti explores our intuitive understanding of the way crafts are related to the human body and their consequent deep meaning for us." "Also included are brief biographies of sixty-five artists whose work is represented in the book, among them Anni Albers, Wendell Castle, Dale Chihuly, Harvey Littleton, Peter Voulkos, and Beatrice Wood."--Jacket.
- Foreword / Elizabeth Broun
Acknowledgments / Kenneth R. Trapp
Dedicated to art: twenty-five years at the Renwick Gallery / Kenneth R. Trapp
Metaphysical implications of function, material, and technique in craft / Howard Risatti
Chronology of the Renwick Gallery
Chronology of the James Renwick Alliance.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Renwick Gallery. Skilled work.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|