A handful of clay / Dave Lynas.
- Duluth, MN : Tweed Museum of Art, ©2009.
111 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 31 cm
- Lynas, Dave, 1944- -- Exhibitions.
Pottery -- Technique.
- In producing a retrospective exhibition of Lynas' work, the artist's range was revealed. Typically, only his most current objects were readily visible in the studio. In his office, more like a mini-museum of favorites, amid floor to ceiling stacks of green plastic storage bins, are exciting standout pieces in array. As one after another delightful object emerged from its wrapping, and diverse pieces were cherry-picked from shelves, Lynas' accomplished career and extraordinary skills took shape. As a consequence of having worn many occupational hats over the years, Lynas' many learned skills developed without prejudice, and he found ways to employ them in his art-making. His practice involves miniature sculpture, painting and draftsmanship, toy making, music, as well as extraordinary command of ceramic techniques. The objects and their surfaces span between territories populist and rarefied, and reach out from the functional to the sublime. - A word from the Director.
- Director's introduction / Ken Bloom
Interview with the artist / Peter Spooner & Dave Lynas
Techniques. Throwing a platter
Trimming a platter
Stamps & roulettes
Flippers & roulettes
Slap & strap
Sculpting by indentation
Clay musical instruments. Whistle flutes
Staff & administration.
- "This handbook is printed ... on the occasion of an exhibition at the Tweed Museum of Art, University of Minnesota Duluth, March 11-June 15, 2008"--Title page verso.
Interview with the artist by Peter Spooner.
- Spooner, Peter F.
Tweed Museum of Art.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|