The pastoral ministry and worship in Calvin's Geneva / Elsie Anne McKee.
- Genève : Librairie Droz S.A., 2016.
- Travaux d'humanisme et Renaissance ; no 556.
Travaux d'humanisme et renaissance, 0082-6081 ; no DLVI
975 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Calvin, Jean, 1509-1564.
Calvin, Jean, 1509-1564 -- Theology.
Calvinism -- Switzerland -- Geneva.
Calvinism -- Switzerland -- Geneva -- History -- 16th century -- Sources.
Switzerland -- Geneva.
- This book examines the where, when, and what of daily, weekly, and annual corporate worship in Geneva, revealing in rich detail the liturgical rhythm shaped by Calvin's theology. It includes sermons, sacraments, marriage, household devotions, ministry to the sick and dying. Shedding new light on Calvin's pulpit, it uncovers when, where, what he preached, and dates sermons. It clarifies the development of Psalm singing, the Sunday afternoon liturgy; it explains how the liturgical year was transformed and the special Calvinist day of prayer and sense of providential time developed. Extensive research in baptismal and marriage records shows how practice was reshaped because (like the Lord's Supper) these must be celebrated in a preaching service. Daily sermons in every pulpit required both educated ministers and significant planning. The program of ministerial rotation Calvin created adds dimensions to his doctrine of the church and demonstrates afresh his organizational skills--Publisher.
- Places and times of worship
Preachers and people in the church
Worship centered on the Lord's day
Weekday worship and the day of prayer
The public rhythms of personal religious life : baptism and marriage
Calvin the preacher of Geneva
Worship in private spaces and the daily round for people and pastors.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|