Transforming teacher quality in the global south : using capabilities and causality to re-examine teacher performance / Sharon Tao.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
x, 233 pages ; 23 cm
- Teachers -- Tanzania.
Education -- Tanzania.
- "A common story of teachers from the Global South portrays them as deficient, unreliable and unprofessional. However, this book uses an innovative Capability Approach/Critical Realist lens to reveal the causal links between teachers' constrained capabilities and their 'criticised' behaviours. Transforming Teacher Quality in the Global South first applies this analytical lens to a Tanzanian case study in order to show how issues concerning gender, leadership and daily survival are causally linked to actions such as absenteeism, distraction and lack of preparation. The second half of this book then uses the lens to inform the design of interventions to address these and other issues, such as corporal punishment, teacher morale and female teacher deployment to rural schools. The analyses from this award-winning research not only provide detailed explanations of teacher performance, but also offer nuanced and creative strategies aimed at improvements. This book will be of great value to anyone in education and international development who would like to see theoretical and academic rigour underpin practical strategies aiming to transform teacher quality."-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note:
1. Rethinking Teacher Quality in the Global SouthPART I: CAPABILITIES, CAUSALITY AND TEACHER PRACTICE: AN EXAMINATION OF TANZANIAN COMPLEXITIES2. A New Lens for Analysis: The Capability Approach and Critical Realism3. The Causal Effect of First-Order Functionings4. How Gender is Causally Linked to Teacher Practice5. Leadership's Causal Link to Classroom (In)actionPART II: PUTTING THE CA/CR LENS INTO PRACTICE: NEW PATHS FOR TRANSFORMING TEACHER QUALITY6. Improving Female Teacher Deployment to Rural Schools7. Reducing Corporal Punishment8. Improving Teacher Motivation and Morale9. Transforming Teacher Quality: Possibilities and Challenges.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|