Elizabethan espionage : plotters and spies in the struggle between Catholicism and the crown / Patrick H. Martin.
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
x, 358 pages ; 26 cm
- Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603.
Espionage, British -- History -- 16th century.
Spies -- Great Britain -- History -- 16th century.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 1558-1603.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1558-1603.
Politics and government.
- "In the wake of the 1588 destruction of the Spanish Armada, English Catholics launched an ingenious counterespionage effort to undermine the Tudor government's anti-Catholic machinations. Queen Elizabeth long maintained spies and provocateurs among English Catholic exiles. Walsingham, her principal secretary, used treachery to foster plots against the queen to justify harsh measures against Catholics"-- Provided by publisher.
- The Persons-Campion Jesuit mission of 1580-1581
Tainted in blood
A wolf by the ears
The MP from Morpeth: gentleman pensioner and assassin
Persecution of Catholic gentry
Aboard the ambassador's boat
Mary Stewart and the theatre of the world
The Spanish Armada and English Catholics
The Essex, Phelippes and Bacon intelligence initiative
In Spanish lands: the Bisley-Moody Plot
The Parliament of 1593: Sterrell and Marlowe
Who can protect the queen? A rivalry over assassins
The General Factor and Arbella Stewart
Co-opting the Privy Council
Trustworthy men at the Fountainhead in the Council
The network at work: tricks of strong imagination
Charles Paget, meet Monsieur Boulant
Treaty negotiations and Burgundian jewels
Essex's dismal tumult
The war between the priests
Scenes of a dying queen
Transitions and treasons, 1603
From intelligence to entertainment
Measure for measure: a sermon to a king
Cecil's interrogations: Phelippes's lies and Sterrell's equivocations
A stir in Wales; the Whitsun commotion, 1605
The Gunpowder Treason
Conclusion: the state of the English Counter-Reformation after Gunpowder.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|