China's evolving approach to "integrated strategic deterrence" / Michael S. Chase, Arthur Chan.
- Santa Monica, Calif. : Rand Corporation, .
- Research report (Rand Corporation) ; RR-1366-TI.
[Research report] ; RR-1366-TI
xiii, 63 pages ; 23 cm.
- China -- Military policy -- 21st century.
National security -- China -- 21st century.
Cyberterrorism -- China.
Information warfare -- China.
Nuclear nonproliferation -- China.
China -- Strategic aspects -- 21st century.
Network-centric operations (Military science).
Strategic aspects of individual places.
- "Drawing on a wide range of sources, including Chinese-language publications, this report finds that China's strategic-deterrence concepts are evolving in response to a changing assessment of its external security environment and a growing emphasis on protecting its emerging interests in space and cyberspace. At the same time, China is rapidly closing what was once a substantial gap between the People's Liberation Army's strategic weapons capabilities and its strategic-deterrence concepts. Chinese military publications indicate that China has a broad concept of strategic deterrence, one in which a multidimensional set of military and nonmilitary capabilities combine to constitute the "integrated strategic deterrence" posture required to protect Chinese interests. For China, powerful military capabilities of several types - including nuclear capabilities, conventional capabilities, space capabilities, and cyberwarfare forces - are all essential components of a credible strategic deterrent. Chinese military publications indicate that nonmilitary aspects of national power - most notably diplomatic, economic, and scientific and technological strength - also contribute to strategic deterrence alongside military capabilities"--Back cover.
- China's strategic-deterrence concepts
China's strategic-deterrence capabilities
Strategic-deterrence activities in peacetime, crisis, and war
Implications and conclusions.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 57-63)
- Chan, Arthur (Of Rand Corporation), author.
Rand Corporation, issuing body.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|