The trouble with Islam today : a Muslim's call for reform in her faith / Irshad Manji.
- New York : St. Martin's Griffin,  , © 2003
xi, 234 pages ; 21 cm
- Islam -- Controversial literature.
Islam and civil society.
Liberty of conscience (Islam)
Islam -- Essence, genius, nature.
- "In this open letter, Irshad Manji unearths the troubling cornerstones of mainstream Islam today: tribal insularity, deep-seated anti-Semitism, and an uncritical acceptance of the Koran as the final, and therefore superior, manifesto of God's will. But her message is ultimately positive. She offers a practical vision of how Islam can undergo a reformation that empowers women, promotes respect for religious minorities, and fosters a competition of ideas. Her vision revives "ijtihad," Islam's lost tradition of independent thinking. In that spirit, Irshad has a refreshing challenge for both Muslims and non-Muslims. Don't silence yourselves. Ask questions--out loud."--Publisher's description on back cover.
- How I became a Muslim refusenik
When did we stop thinking?
Gates and girdles
Who's betraying whom?
The hidden underbelly of Islam
In praise of honesty
Thank God for the West.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Presented to the Penn Libraries by the Board of Governors of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth.
- Penn Provenance:
- Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (donor) (CJS copy)
- Library of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|