C.F.A. Voysey : arts & crafts designer / Karen Livingstone ; with Max Donnelly and Linda Parry.
- Other Title:
- C.F.A. Voysey, arts and crafts designer
- London : V&A Publishing, 2016. , ©2016
320 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits, plans ; 28 cm
- Voysey, Charles F. A., 1857-1941 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Design -- England -- History -- 19th century.
Design -- England -- History -- 20th century.
Repetitive patterns (Decorative arts) -- Great Britain.
Decoration and ornament -- Plant forms -- Great Britain.
Decoration and ornament -- Animal forms -- Great Britain.
Arts and crafts movement -- Great Britain.
Voysey, Charles F. A., 1857-1941.
Arts and crafts movement.
Decoration and ornament -- Animal forms.
Decoration and ornament -- Plant forms.
Repetitive patterns (Decorative arts)
- Local subjects:
- Voysey, Charles Francis Annesley, 1857-1941.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "C.F.A. Voysey (1857-1941) was an architect-designer who advocated honest and thoughtful design, and championed high standards of craftsmanship applied only to the finest materials. The resulting objects -- simple yet elegant, often enhanced by beautiful and symbolic decoration -- were considered revolutionary in their time and continue to enchant audiences today. The first substantial monograph to be published in 20 years, this comprehensive book focuses on Voysey as a designer of furniture, metalwork, and textiles, providing a new analysis of his characteristic motifs and designs. It draws on the greatest public and private collections of his work to give a complete and fully illustrated account of Voysey's output and his vision for domestic life at the turn of the twentieth century. Original drawings and plans, archive photography and images of a vast selection of surviving objects are brought together here in a fresh examination of the Arts and Crafts pioneer. The authors' extensive new research documents the personal and professional relationships that enabled Voysey to become a great and prolific designer. The book draws together new information on how he ran his business; how he promoted, exhibited, and sold his work; who his clients were; who was responsible for manufacturing his designs; and what a Voysey house and interior looked like." -- Publisher's description
- Preface: collections and sources
Introduction / Karen Livingstone
Repeating patterns / Linda Parry
Furniture / Max Donnelly
Metalwork and ceramics / Karen Livingstone.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 311-313) and index.
- Parry, Linda, author.
Donnelly, Max, author.
Victoria and Albert Museum, host institution.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|