Soviet street children and the Second World War : welfare and social control under Stalin / Olga Kucherenko.
- London ; New York : Bloomsbury Academic, 2016.
vi, 245 pages ; 24 cm
- World War (1939-1945)
Child welfare -- Soviet Union.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Children -- Soviet Union.
Juvenile delinquency -- Soviet Union.
Social control -- Soviet Union.
Soviet Union -- Social policy.
- "A time of great hardship, the Second World War became a consequential episode in the history of Soviet childhood policies. The growing social problem of juvenile homelessness and delinquency alerted the government to the need for a comprehensive child protection programme. Nevertheless, by prioritizing public order over welfare, the Stalinist state created conditions that exacerbated the situation even further, transforming an existing problem into a nation-wide crisis. In this comprehensive account based on exhaustive archival research, Olga Kucherenko investigates the plight of more than a million street children and the state's role in the reinforcement of their ranks. By looking at wartime dislocation, Soviet child welfare policies, juvenile justice and the shadow world both within and without the Gulag, Soviet Street Children and the Second World War challenges several of the most pervasive myths about the Soviet Union at war. It is, therefore, as much an investigation of children on the margins of Soviet society as it is a study of the impact of war and state policies on society itself"-- Provided by publisher.
"A history of child homelessness and delinquency in the Soviet Union during the Second World War and its aftermath"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note:
List of Illustrations
Terms and Transliteration
Abbreviations and Archive References
1. Rolling Stones
2. The Crime Wave
3. The Great Migration
4. Efforts to Help
6. Empty Promises
7. Forced Displacement
8. Making Labourers into Criminals
9. Law and Order Soviet Style
In Beria's Care
11. State House
13. Challenges to Authority
14. Educating Through Labour
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|