Celebrate people's history : 100 posters / organized and curated by Josh MacPhee.
- [Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania : Justseeds Artists' Cooperative, 2016]
100 prints in 1 portfolio : color illustrations ; sheets 44 x 28 cm or smaller, portfolio 46 x 30 cm + 1 half-title sheet + 1 contents sheet
- Social problems -- Posters.
Social action -- Posters.
Social justice -- Posters.
Social movements -- Posters.
Political activists -- Posters.
Revolutionaries -- Posters.
Labor -- Posters.
Working class -- Posters.
Anti-globalization movement -- Posters.
Anarchism -- Posters.
Peace movements -- Posters.
Civil rights -- Posters.
Prison-industrial complex -- Posters.
Feminism -- Posters.
Gender identity -- Posters.
Posters -- 20th century -- Specimens.
Posters -- 21st century -- Specimens.
Broadsides -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh -- 2016.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Pittsburgh.
- "This cloth-bound box set documents the first 18 years and 100 posters in the Celebrate People's History Poster series. The posters are rooted in the do-it-yourself tradition of mass-produced and distributed political propaganda, but detourned to embody principles of democracy, inclusion, and group participation in the writing and interpretation of history. It's rare today that a political poster is celebratory, and when it is, it almost always focuses on a small canon of male individuals: MLK, Ghandi, Che, or Mandela. Rather than create another exclusive set of heroes, I've generated a diverse set of posters that bring to life successful moments in the history of social justice struggles. To that end, I've asked artists and designers to find events, groups, and people who have moved forward the collective struggle of humanity to create a more equitable and just world. The posters tell stories from the subjective position of the artists, and are often the stories of underdogs, those written out of history. The goal of this project is not to tell a definitive history, but to suggest a new relationship to the past"--Justseeds Artists' Cooperative website, August 4, 2016.
- Issued in portfolio.
Title from portfolio cover.
Limited edition of 25 copies, signed and numbered by Josh MacPhee.
Handmade red cloth-covered portfolio with foil-stamped title on spine, title and an illustration foil-stamped on the front cover. Lined with white paper, with a three-flap paper wrapper attached inside to hold posters. Contains 100 offset printed posters from the Celebrate People's History Poster series, a letterpress printed half-title sheet with curator's statement, and a letterpress printed contents sheet.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
RBC copy signed by Josh MacPhee and numbered "19/25" in pencil at foot of half-title sheet.
- Penn Chronology:
- Justseeds Artists' Cooperative, publisher.
Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|