Publishing subversive texts in Elizabethan England and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth / edited by Teresa Bela, Clarinda Calma, Jolanta Rzegocka.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Library of the written word ; 52.
Library of the written word. Handpress world 39.
Library of the written word ; volume 52 . The handpress world ; volume 39
xv, 300 pages ; 25 cm.
- Book industries and trade -- Poland -- History.
Book industries and trade -- Great Britain -- History.
Censorship -- Great Britain -- History.
Censorship -- Poland -- History.
Catholic literature -- Publishing -- History -- 16th century.
Catholic literature -- Publishing -- History -- 17th century.
English literature -- Catholic authors -- History and criticism.
Catholics, English -- Poland -- History.
Great Britain -- Relations -- Poland.
Poland -- Relations -- Great Britain.
Book industries and trade.
Catholic literature -- Publishing.
English literature -- Catholic authors.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Publishing subversive texts in Elizabeth England and the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth' offers recent research in book history by analysing the impact of early modern censorship on book circulation and information exchange in Elizabethan England and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In fourteen articles, the various aspects of early modern subversive publishing and impact of censorship on the intellectual and cultural exchange in both England and Poland-Lithuania are thoroughly discussed. 0The book is divided into three main parts. In the first part, the presence and impact of British recusants in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth are discussed. Part two deals with subversive publishing and its role on the intellectual culture of the Elizabethan Settlement. Part three deals with the impact of national censorship laws on book circulation to the Continent.
- By way of introduction : national bibliography and collective catalogues of printed material produced in the first centuries of print in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth / Justyna Kiliafzczyk-Zifiba
English recusant presence in the print culture of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
Recusant prose in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth at the turn of the sixteenth century / Miroslawa Hanusiewicz-Lavallee
James VI and I, the Scottish Jesuit, and the Polish pasquils / Martin Murphy
English recusants in the Jesuit theatre of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth / Jolanta Rzegocka
In the eye of the storm : books in the conflict between the Jesuits and the University of Krakow (1622-1634) / Magdalena Komorowska
Mikolaj Krzysztof Radziwill (1549-1616) : prince, patron and printer / Clarinda Calma
Subversive publishing during the Elizabethan settlement
"Guiding souls to goodness and devotion" : clandestine publications and the English Jesuit mission / Thomas M McCoog
"Books which are necessary for them" : reconstructing a Jesuit missionary library in Wales and the English borderlands, ca.1600-1679 / Hannah Thomas
Luis de Granada's mission to Protestant England : translating the devotional literature of the Spanish Counter Reformation / Alexandra Walsham
Persons' displeasure : collaboration and design in Leicester's Commonwealth / Victor Houliston
Goslicius' Englished senator : an anatomy of manipulative translation / Teresa Baluk-Ulewiczowa
Crossing national borders of censorship
A cosmopolitan book : Edmund Campion's Rationes Decem / Gerard Kilroy
Lay Catholic book ownership and international Catholicism in Elizabethan England / Earle Havens
Richard Verstegan as a publicist of the Counter-Reformation : religion, identity and clandestine literature / Marcin Falkowski.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Bela, Teresa, editor.
Calma, Clarinda, editor.
Rzegocka, Jolanta, editor.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Other format:
- Online version: Publishing subversive texts in Elizabethan England and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|