The player / Avenue Pictures in association with Spelling Entertainment presents ; a David Brown/Addis-Wechsler production ; a Robert Altman film ; co-executive producer, William S. Gilmore ; executive producer, Cary Brokaw ; screenplay by Michael Tolkin ; produced by David Brown, Michael Tolkin, Nick Wechsler ; directed by Robert Altman.
- Two-DVD special edition.
- [New York, NY] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection; 812.
The Criterion collection ; 812
2 videodiscs (124 minutes) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 folded insert ( panels : color illustrations ; 19 cm)
DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Murder -- Drama.
Murder -- Investigation -- Drama.
Motion picture industry -- United States -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Drama.
Tolkin, Michael -- Film adaptations.
- Dark comedy films.
Detective and mystery films.
Thrillers (Motion pictures)
Show business films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- Open-captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing (SDH).
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) presentation; Dolby Digital 2.0 surround.
digital optical surround Dolby Digital 2.0
video file DVD video region 1
- "I was just thinking what an interesting concept it is to eliminate the writer from the artistic process. If we could just get rid of these actors and directors, maybe we've got something here."--Griffin Mill. Griffin is a slick, successful film studio vice president whose primary duty is to listen to story pitches from a constant stream of writers. Like all Hollywood producers, he's always looking over his shoulder, and he thinks up-and-comer Larry Levy is after his job. Along with power lunches, corporate in-fighting, and bottom-line priorities, a mysterious someone--probably an ignored and angry screenwriter--has been leaving him threatening postcards. When he finally takes action, his cool aplomb deserts him, things go seriously sideways, and Griffin's world begins falling apart.
- Tim Robbins, Greta Scacchi, Fred Ward, Whoopi Goldberg, Peter Gallagher, Brion James, Cynthia Stevenson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Dean Stockwell, Richard E. Grant, Dina Merrill, Angela Hall, Lyle Lovett.
- Director of photography, Jean Lépine; editor, Geraldine Peroni; wardrobe designer, Alexander Julian; production designer, Stephen Altman; music, Thomas Newman.
- Based on The player / by Michael Tolkin.
Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1992.
Special features: On disc one: New 4K digital restoration; Audio commentary from 1992 featuring director Robert Altman, writer Michael Tolkin, and cinematographer Jean Lepine; The film's opening shot with alternate commentaries by Altman, Lépine, and Tolkin; Trailers and TV spots. On disc two: Interview with Altman from 1992; New interviews with Tolkin, actor Tim Robbins, associate producer David Levy, and production designer Stephen Altman; Cannes Film Festival press conference from 1992 with cast and crew; Robert Altman's Players: a short documentary about the shooting of the film's fund-raiser scene; Map to the Stars: a gallery dedicated to the cameo appearances in the film; Deleted scenes and outtakes. Insert includes essay "The Screenplayer" by film critic Sam Wasson.
- Altman, Robert, 1925-2006, film director.
Gilmore, William S., film producer.
Brokaw, Cary, film producer.
Tolkin, Michael. screenwriter, film producer.
Brown, David, 1916-2010, film producer.
Wechsler, Nick, film producer.
Lépine, Jean, 1948- director of photography.
Newman, Thomas, 1955- composer (expression)
Peroni, Geraldine, editor of moving image work.
Altman, Stephen, production designer.
Julian, Alexander, costume designer.
Robbins, Tim, 1958- actor.
Scacchi, Greta, actor.
Ward, Fred, 1942- actor.
Goldberg, Whoopi, 1955- actor.
Gallagher, Peter, 1955- actor.
James, Brion, 1945-1999, actor.
Stevenson, Cynthia, 1962- actor.
D'Onofrio, Vincent, actor.
Stockwell, Dean, 1938- actor.
Grant, Richard E., 1957- actor.
Merrill, Dina, actor.
Hall, Angela, (Actor), actor.
Lovett, Lyle, actor.
Avenue Pictures, production company.
Spelling Entertainment Inc., production company.
Addis-Wechsler (Firm), production company.
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher.
- Publisher Number:
CC2622D The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|