Carlisle Indian Industrial School : indigenous histories, memories, and reclamations / edited by Jacqueline Fear-Segal and Susan D. Rose.
- Lincoln ; London : University of Nebraska Press, 
- Indigenous education.
xiv, 398 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- United States Indian School (Carlisle, Pa.) -- History.
Off-reservation boarding schools -- Pennsylvania -- Carlisle -- History.
Indians of North America -- Cultural assimilation -- United States.
Indians of North America -- Education -- Pennsylvania -- Carlisle -- History.
Indians of North America -- Cultural assimilation -- Pennsylvania -- Carlisle -- History.
Indians of North America -- Pennsylvania -- Carlisle -- Ethnic identity -- History.
Indian students -- Relocation -- United States -- History.
Indians, Treatment of -- United States -- History.
Collective memory -- United States.
Racism in education -- Pennsylvania -- Carlisle -- History.
- "This collection interweaves the voices of students' descendants, poets, and activists with cutting edge research by Native and non-Native scholars to reveal the complex history and enduring legacies of the school that spearheaded the federal campaign for Indian assimilation."--Provided by publisher.
- Welcome, with Seneca thanksgiving prayer "We are one" by Peter Jemison (Seneca)
Part 1. A sacred and storied place. 1. The stones at Carlisle / N. Scott Momaday (Kiowa)
2. Before Carlisle: the lower Susquehanna Valley as contested native space / Christopher J. Bilodeau
Part 2. Student lives and losses. 3. Photograph: Carlisle poem
Who is this boy? / Maurice Kenny (Mohawk)
4. The names / Barbara Landis
5. White power and the performance of assimilation: Lincoln Institute and Carlisle Indian School / Louellyn White (Mohawk)
6. The imperial gridiron: dealing with the legacy of Carlisle Indian School sports / John Bloom
7. Waste / Maurice Kenny (Mohawk)
Part 3. Carlisle Indian School Cemetery. 8. Cementerio indio / Eduardo Jorda, translation by Mark C. Aldrich
9. The history and reclamation of sacred space: the Indian school cemetery / Jacqueline Fear-Segal
10. Death at Carlisle: naming the unknowns in the cemetery / Barbara Landis
Part 4. Reclamations. 11. The lost ones: piecing together the story / Jacqueline Fear-Segal
12. Necropolitics, Carlisle Indian School, and Nde memory / Margo Tamez (Nde/Lipan Apache)
13. Sacred journey: restoring my plains Indian tipi / Carolyn Rittenhouse (Lakota)
14. Carlisle Farmhouse: a major site of memory / Carolyn Tolman
Part 5. Revisioning the past. 15. Research note on the Carlisle Indian Industrial School Digital Humanities Project / Malinda Triller Doran
16. Carlisle Indian Industrial School: projects for teaching / Paul Brawdy and Anne-Claire Fisher
Part 6. Reflections and responses. 17. The spirit survives / Dovie Thomason (Lakota and Kiowa Apache)
18. Response to visiting Carlisle: experiencing intergenerational trauma / Warren Petoskey (Odawa and Lakota)
19. The presence of ghosts / Maurice Kenny (Mohawk)
20. A sacred space / Sharon O'Brien
21. Carlisle: my hometown / Charles Fox
22. The Nde and Carlisle: reflections on the symposium / Daniel Castro Romero Jr. (Nde/Lipan Apache)
Epilogue: N. Scott Momaday (Kiowa).
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 363-371) and index.
- Fear-Segal, Jacqueline, editor of compilation.
Rose, Susan D., 1955- editor of compilation.
- 9780803278912 (cloth : alk. paper)
0803278918 (cloth : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|