Spreading canvas : eighteenth-century British marine painting / edited by Eleanor Hughes ; with contributions by Eleanor Hughes, Richard Johns, Sophie Lynford, John McAleer, Geoff Quilley, Christine Riding, Catherine Roach, and Pieter van der Merwe.
- New Haven : Yale Center for British Art : Yale University Press, 
xiii, 298 pages : illustrations, some colored ; 29 cm
- Marine painting, British -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.
Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.
ART -- Collections, Catalogs, Exhibitions -- General.
ART -- Subjects & Themes -- Landscapes.
ART -- History -- Romanticism.
HISTORY -- Modern -- 18th Century.
HISTORY -- Europe -- Great Britain.
Art and society
Marine painting, British.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- "Spreading Canvas takes a close look at the tradition of marine painting that flourished in 18th-century Britain. Drawing primarily on the extensive collections of the Yale Center for British Art and the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London, this publication shows how the genre corresponded with Britain's growing imperial power and celebrated its increasing military presence on the seas, representing the subject matter in a way that was both documentary and sublime. Works by leading purveyors of the style, including Peter Monamy, Samuel Scott, Dominic Serres, and Nicholas Pocock, are featured alongside sketches, letters, and other ephemera that help frame the political and geographic significance of these inspiring views, while also establishing the painters' relationships to concurrent metropolitan art cultures. This survey, featuring a wealth of beautifully reproduced images, demonstrates marine painting's overarching relevance to British culture of the era"-- Provided by publisher.
- "This publication accompanies the exhibition Spreading canvas: eighteenth-century British marine painting, organized by the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, in association with the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, and on view September 15 to December 4, 2016" -- Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 283-285) and index.
- Hughes, Eleanor, 1971- editor.
Yale Center for British Art, organizer, host institution.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|