Mediterranean connections : maritime transport containers and seaborne trade in the Bronze and early Iron ages / A. Bernard Knapp and Stella Demesticha ; with contributions by Robert Martin and Catherine E. Pratt.
- New York ; London : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2017.
xiii, 263 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Mediterranean Region -- Commerce -- History.
Mediterranean Region -- Antiquities.
Shipping -- Mediterranean Region -- History -- To 1500.
Containers -- Mediterranean Region -- History -- To 1500.
Amphoras -- Mediterranean Region -- History -- To 1500.
Storage jars -- Mediterranean Region -- History -- To 1500.
Bronze age -- Mediterranean Region.
Iron age -- Mediterranean Region.
Mediterranean Region -- History, Naval.
Mediterranean Region -- History -- To 476.
- "This volume focuses on the origin and development of the maritime transport container from the Early Bronze through early Iron Age periods (ca. 3200-700 BC). This category of objects gives us a better understanding of ancient Mediterranean interregional connections, including the roles that shipwrecks, seafaring, and coastal communities played in interaction and exchange. These containers have often been the subject of specific and detailed pottery studies, but have seldom been examined as central to understanding connectivity and trade in the Aegean and eastern Mediterranean. This broad study: considers the likely origins of these types of vessels; traces their development and spread throughout the Aegean and eastern Mediterranean as archetypal organic bulk cargo containers; discusses the wider impact on Mediterranean connections, transport, and trade over a period of 2500 years covering the Bronze and early Iron Ages. Classical and Near Eastern archaeologists and historians, as well as maritime archaeologists, will find this extensively researched volume an important addition to their library"--Provided by publisher.
- Maritime Matters : Shipwrecks and Harbours
Connectivity, Seaborne Trade and Maritime Transport Containers
Maritime Transport Containers
Discussion: Maritime Transport Containers, Bulk Transport and Mediterranean Trade
Conclusions: MTCs and Mediterranean Connectivity
Appendix A: Volumetric Analysis and Capacity Measurements of Selected MTCs.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages185-249) and index.
- Demesticha, Stella, author.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|