The Road to Brown / Corporation for Public Broadcasting ; a film from California Newsreel ; a presentation of the University of Virginia ; executive producer, William Elwood ; produced and directed by Mykola Kulish ; written by William Elwood, Larry Adelman, Gary Weimberg, Larry Daressa, Mykola Kulish.
- San Francisco, CA : California Newsreel, 1995, ©1990.
1 videocassette (56 min.) : sound, color with black and white sequences ; 1/2 in.
- Houston, Charles Hamilton, 1895-1950.
Discrimination in education -- Law and legislation -- United States.
Segregation in education -- Law and legislation -- United States.
African Americans -- Civil rights -- United States.
African American lawyers -- Biography.
Civil rights workers -- United States -- Biography.
African Americans -- Segregation.
African Americans -- Legal status, laws, etc.
Constitutional history -- United States.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- VHS, NTSC, Region 1; full screen (1.33:1 aspect ratio) presentation.
full screen (1.33:1)
- The Brown v. Board of Education ruling was the culmination of a brilliant legal assault on segregation that launched the Civil Rights movement, led by a visionary black lawyer, Charles Hamilton Houston, "the man who killed Jim Crow." Former slaves were robbed of the rights granted by the 14th and 15th Amendments. Under the "separate but equal" doctrine of the Supreme Court's 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson decision, black citizens were denied the right to vote, to attend white schools, or to get sick in white hospitals. Those who objected were liable to be lynched.
Houston targeted segregated education as the key to undermining the entire Jim Crow system. Interviews with his associates recount how Houston, eschewing the limelight himself, energized a generation of black jurists including future Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall to wage the struggle against segregation. In a moving climax, the film recapitulates the arguments before the Court, Justice Warren's opinion striking down Plessy, and the jubilant reactions of black America.
- Prologue to Brown
Plessy and the era of Jim Crow
The man who would kill Jim Crow
The strategy unfolds
The road from Brown.
- Narrator, Steven Anthony Jones.
- Camera, Brad Shapiro; editor, Gary Weinberg, Yasha Aginsky; music research, Darryl Cox.
- Videodisc release of the documentary motion picture which was originally broadcast in 1990.
- Elwood, William A., film producer, screenwriter.
Kulish, Mykola, film director, film producer, screenwriter.
Adelman, Larry, screenwriter.
Weimberg, Gary, screenwriter, film editor.
Daressa, Lawrence, screenwriter.
Jones, Steven A., narrator.
California Newsreel (Firm), film production company, publisher.
University of Virginia, film production company.
Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.), film production company.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|