Writings on political economy / edited by Michael Quinn.
- First edition.
- Oxford : Clarendon Press, 2016-
- Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832. 1968. Works.
The collected works of Jeremy Bentham
volumes ; 24 cm.
- Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832.
Economics -- Early works to 1800.
Economics -- Philosophy.
Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832
Economics -- Philosophy
- Early works.
- Primarily in English. Includes some text in French, from drafts which Bentham originally wrote in that language.
- "In the mid-1780s Bentham drafted his first sustained discussions of political economy and public finance for Projet Matière (itself part of Projet d'un corps de loix complet). Those discussions are now lost, but the corresponding marginal contents open this volume, followed by three closely related appendices. The volume continues with Defence of Usury, first published 1787, which was well received, quickly translated, and established some reputation for Bentham in political economy. In 1790, whilst preparing a second edition, Bentham drafted the raft of additional materials included here in five appendices. At the same time he began Manual of Political Economy, an introductory handbook which he never finished, while the surviving text appears here, supplemented by seven appendices. In March 1793 Bentham reacted to press reports of the Irish Budget by composing A Protest against Law Taxes, a trenchant critique of the taxation of legal proceedings, and the denial of justice to the poor, which was printed in 1793, published in 1795, and extended in 1816, and which completes the volume."-- Publisher's description.
- Volume 1. Defence of usury ; Manual of political economy ; A protest against law taxes
volume 2. Financial resources including Supply without burthen and Proposals relative to divers modes of supply.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Quinn, Michael, 1961- editor.
- Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832. Defence of usury.
Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832. Manual of political economy.
Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832. Protest against law taxes.
Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832. Supply without burthen.
Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832. Proposals relative to divers modes of supply.
- Contained In:
- (MP) The collected works of Jeremy Bentham. Economics and society
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|