Sukkah City / Oxbow Lake Films ; produced & directed by Jason Hutt.
- Other Title:
- Subtitle on container: an Ancient structure gets a modern makeover
- New York, NY : First Run Features,  , ©2014
1 videodisc (67 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in
4 3/4 in.
- Foer, Joshua.
Sukkot -- Exhibitions.
Sukkah -- Exhibitions.
Jewish art and symbolism -- Exhibitions.
- Documentary films.
- In English; optional subtitles in English.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) presentation; stereo.
digital optical stereo
video file DVD video region 1
- When best-selling author Joshua Foer began to build his first sukkah, a small hut that Jews build and dwell in every fall for the holiday of Sukkot, he wanted to move beyond the generic plywood boxes and canvas tents that have become the unimaginative status quo. He discovered that while the Bible outlines the basic parameters for what a sukkah should look like and how it should function, it leaves plenty of room for variation and interpretation. Foer thought what if contemporary architects and designers were challenged to design and construct twelve radical sukkahs? What would they come up with? And so was born the design competition known as Sukkah City in Union Square Park, in the heart of New York City. Chronicling the competition, the film goes behind the scenes during construction, exhibition, and judging to provide an entertaining and inspiring portrait of the project's visionary architects and structures, and an exciting, singular moment in the American Jewish experience.
- The historical sukkah
Reimagining the sukkah
The first six finalists
Discussion and compromise
Sukkah City People's Choice Award.
- Joshua Foer, Roger Bennett, Paul Goldberger, Thom Mayne, Ron Arad, Maira Kalman, Michael Arad.
- Cinematography, Jason Hutt; editor, Jason Hutt; music, Mark Orton.
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 2013.
Special features: additional scenes from the competition and exhibition; design gallery : submission board slideshow; short films: Yeshiva Boys; Importance of Competitions; Submission Board Strategy.
- Hutt, Jason, film director, film producer, editor of moving image work, director of photographer.
Bennett, Roger, designer.
Foer, Joshua, designer.
Goldberger, Paul, designer.
Mayne, Thom, designer.
Arad, Ron, 1951- designer.
Kalman, Maira, designer.
Arad, Michael, 1969- designer.
Orton, Mark, composer (expression)
Oxbow Lake Films, production company.
First-Run Features (Firm), publisher.
- Publisher Number:
FRF916455D First Run Features
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|