Jewish symbols in the Greco-Roman period. Erwin R. Goodenough.
- Other records:
- [New York : Published for the Bollingen Foundation Inc. by] Pantheon Books, [1953-1968].
- Bollingen series ; 37.
Bollingen series ; 37
13 volumes : illustrations ; 32 cm.
- Dura, Syria. Synagogue.
Jewish art and symbolism
Jews -- Antiquities
Jews -- Civilization -- Greek influences
Dura-Europos (Extinct city)
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- v. 1. The archeological evidence from Palestine.
v. 2. The archeological evidence from the Diaspora.
v. 3. Illustrations.
v. 4. The problem of method. Symbols from Jewish cult.
v. 5-6. Fish, bread, and wine.
v. 7-8. Pagan symbols in Judaism.
v. 9-11. Symbolism in the Dura Synagogue.
v. 12. Summary and conclusions.
v. 13. Indexes and maps, with the author's corrigenda and comments for the preceding volumes.
- "The immediate purpose of the study which follows is to try to discover the religious attitudes of the Jews in the Greco-Roman world."--Preface. vol. 1.
Vol. 13 has imprint: [Princeton, N.J.] Princeton University Press.
Includes bibliographical footnotes and indexes.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy imperfect: v. 12 only.
Gotham Book Mart Collection v. 12 has dustjacket retained.
Potok Collection copy volumes 1-8 presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy volumes 1-8 have paper wrapper with piece cut out on spine to show volume's title retained.
Potok Collection copy volumes 1-6 have autograph of "Herman Potok October 1957 Los Angeles". Volumes 7-8 have autograph of "Herman Potok November 1958 Los Angeles".
Potok Collection copy volumes 1-8 have title pages printed in black and red-brown.
Potok Collection copy volumes 1-3 and 5-6 housed in slipcases.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy volumes 1-8)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|