California as it is & as it may be, or, A guide to the gold region / by F.P. Wierzbicki, M.D. ; with an introduction by George D. Lyman ; drawings by Valenti Angelo.
- Other Title:
- Guide to the gold region
California as it is and as it may be
- San Francisco : The Grabhorn Press, 1933.
- Rare Americana series (Grabhorn Press) ; no. 8.
Rare Americana series ; no. 8
xxix, , 100,  pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- California -- Description and travel.
California -- Gold discoveries.
Ethnic groups -- California.
Urbanization -- California.
Real estate development -- California.
Law -- Political aspects -- California.
Agriculture -- California.
Wierzbicki, Felix Paul, 1815-1860.
Letterpress printing -- Specimens.
Wierzbicki, Felix Paul, 1815-1860
Gold mines and mining
Law -- Political aspects.
Real estate development.
- Place of Publication:
- United States California San Francisco.
- Felix Paul Wierzbicki (1815-1860) left his native Poland after participating in the doomed revolution of 1830. He made his way to America where he received a medical degree and practiced in Providence, Rhode Island. When the Mexican War broke out, Wierzbicki enlisted in the Army and was sent to California. Wierzbicki left the Army shortly after reaching the West and practiced medicine until the discovery of gold drew him to prospecting on Mokelumne Hill. In 1849, he returned to San Francisco, where he spent the rest of his life. California as it is (1849) was the first English-language book printed in California. It is a valuable guide to California for prospective settlers that includes a survey of agriculture, hints on gold mining, a guide to San Francisco, and a chapter on California's Hispanic residents and Native American tribes.
- Wierzbicki: the book and the doctor / George D. Lyman
Preface, September 30, 1849
Preface to the second edition, December 30, 1849
The country & its resources
The gold region
Advice to the miner
Towns of California: Directions for entering the Harbor of San Francisco / Edw. A. King, Harbor Master, September 27, 1849 ; Regulations for the Harbor and Port of San Francisco / approved Thomas Ap C. Jones
The natives of California
Medical observations upon the people & country
Bibliography for the study of the life of F.P. Wierzbicki, M.D. / compiled by George D. Lyman.
- Two editions published in 1849, the prefaces dated "Sept. 30, 1849" and "December 30, 1849" respectively. The present edition follows the text of the second edition.
"Bibliography for the study of the life of F.p. Wierzbicki, M.D., compiled by George D. Lyman": pages 102-104.
- Local notes:
- RBC copy has bookplate of John McKnight Storrow on front pastedown.
RBC copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2010 by Professor Robert L. Schuyler.
- Penn Provenance:
- Schuyler, Robert L., 1947- (donor) (RBC copy)
Storrow, John McKnight (bookplate) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Heller & Magee. Bib. Grabhorn Press, 186
- Lyman, George D. (George Dunlap), 1882-1949.
Angelo, Valenti, 1897-1982, illustrator.
- Lyman, George D. (George Dunlap), 1882-1949. Bibliography for the study of the life of F. P. Wierzbicki, M.D.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|