Never built New York / Greg Goldin, Sam Lubell ; foreword by Daniel Libeskind.
- New York, NY : Metropolis Books,  , ©2016
407 pages : chiefly illustrations (some color), maps (some color), plans ; 23 x 30 cm
- Unbuilt architectural projects -- New York (State) -- New York.
New York (N.Y.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Unbuilt architectural projects.
New York (State) -- New York
- "Never Built New York shows us the visionary architectural ideas of the city's greatest dreamers across two centuries of New York City history. Nearly 200 proposals spanning 200 years encompass bridges, skyscrapers, master plans, parks, transit schemes, amusements, airports, plans to fill in rivers and extend Manhattan, and much, much more. Included are alternate visions for Central Park, Columbus Circle, Lincoln Center, MoMA, the UN, Grand Central Terminal, the World Trade Center site and other highlights such as: Alfred Ely Beach s system of airtight subway cars propelled via atmospheric pressure; Frank Lloyd Wright s last project, his Key Plan for Ellis Island, on which he would have developed his dream city; Buckminster Fuller s design for Brooklyn s Dodger Stadium, complete with giant geodesic dome to shield players and fans from the rain; developer William Zeckendorf s Rooftop Airport, perched on steel columns 200 feet above street level, spanning from 24th to 71st Street, Ninth Avenue to the Hudson River; John Johansen s Leapfrog City proposal to create an entirely new neighborhood atop the tenements of East Harlem; and Stephen Holl s Bridge of Houses, offering options from SROs to modest studios to luxury apartments on a segment of what is now the High Line"--provided by publisher.
- The paradox of the unbuilt
Driving to Empire
The Bronx & Queens
Brooklyn & Staten Island.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 404-405) and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Albert M. Greenfield Memorial Fund.
- Lubell, Sam, author.
Libeskind, Daniel, 1946- writer of foreword.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|