Jesuit foundations and Medici power, 1532-1621 / by Kathleen M. Comerford.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2016.
- Jesuit studies - modernity through the prism of Jesuit history, 2214-3289 ; VOLUME 7
xvi, 316 pages ; 24 cm.
- Jesuits -- Italy -- History -- 16th century.
Jesuits -- Italy -- History -- 17th century.
Medici, House of.
Church and state -- Italy -- History -- 16th century.
Church and state -- Italy -- History -- 17th century.
Christianity and politics -- Catholic Church -- History -- 16th century.
Christianity and politics -- Catholic Church -- History -- 17th century.
Christianity and politics -- Catholic Church.
Church and state.
- Jesuit Foundations and Medici Power, 1532-1621' focuses on the cooperation between two new foundations, the last Medici state and the Society of Jesus, spanning nearly a century, concentrating on the Jesuit foundations in Florence, Siena, and Montepulciano. As the Medici built and centralized their power in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, they sought to control both the civic and religious behavior of their citizens. They found partners in the Jesuits, whose educational program helped establish social order and maintain religious orthodoxy. Via a detailed investigation of both minor and major Italian Jesuit colleges, and of multiple Medici rulers, Kathleen M. Comerford provides insight into church/state cooperation in an age in which both institutions underwent significant changes.
- The beginning of the third Medici regime (1532-69)
The grand duchy, Francesco I-Cosimo II (1574-1621)
The first Tuscan Jesuits
The college in Florence: opening, funding, and relationship to the Medici (1550s-1620s)
The colleges in Siena and Montepulciano (1550s-1620s)
The colleges in operation (1550s-1620s)
Was the enterprise a success?
Tuscan Jesuits (1540s-1700)
Tuscan Jesuit College libraries (1565-78).
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Dr. Ada H. Lewis Book Fund.
- Dr. Ada H. Lewis Book Fund.
- Other format:
- Online version: Comerford, Kathleen M., author. Jesuit foundations and Medici power, 1532-1621
- 9789004284517 (hardback : alk. paper)
9004284516 (hardback : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|