Migrations in the German lands, 1500-2000 / edited by Jason Coy, Jared Poley, and Alexander Schunka.
- New York : Berghahn, 2016.
- Spektrum (New York, N.Y.) ; v. 13.
Spektrum (New York, N.Y.)
viii, 257 pages ; 24 cm.
- Germany -- Emigration and immigration -- History.
Europe, German-speaking -- Emigration and immigration -- History.
Migration, Internal -- Germany -- History.
Migration, Internal -- Europe, German-speaking -- History.
Immigrants -- Germany -- History.
Immigrants -- Europe, German-speaking -- History.
Emigration and immigration.
- "Migration to, from, and within German-speaking lands has been a dynamic force in Central European history for centuries. Exemplifying some of the most exciting recent research on historical mobility, the essays collected here reconstruct the experiences of vagrants, laborers, religious exiles, refugees, and other migrants during the last five hundred years of German history. With diverse contributions ranging from early modern martyrdom to post-Cold War commemoration efforts, this volume identifies revealing commonalities shared by different eras while also placing the German case within the broader contexts of European and global migration; 'This well-edited, well-written volume represents an important contribution to migration history. Its distinctiveness lies both in its focus on immigration to and within Germany--as opposed to German emigration to other lands--and its unusually broad chronological range, including a welcome emphasis on the early modern period'--James Melton, Emory University"--From publisher's website.
- Migration in the German lands : an introduction / Alexander Schunka
Martyrdom and its discontents : the martyr as a motif of migration in early modern Europe / Andrew McKenzie-McHarg
Penal migration in early modern Germany / Jason Coy
No return? : from temporary exile to permanent immigration in the early modern era / Alexander Schunka
Inventing immigrant traditions in eighteenth-century Germany : the Huguenots in context / Ulrich Niggemann
Between economic interest and nationalism : the policy regarding Polish seasonal rural workers in the German Empire before 1914 / Roland Gehrke
Elite migration to Germany : the Anglo-American Colony in Dresden before World War I / Nadine Zimmerli
Immigration in Weimar Germany / Jochen Oltmer
Coming home? : the return of Italian and German Jews to their countries of origin after the Holocaust / Anna Koch
On the move and putting down roots : transnationalism and integration among Yugoslav guest workers in West Germany / Christopher A. Molnar
Sifting Germans from Yugoslavs : co-ethnic selection, Danube Swabian migrants, and the contestation of Aussiedler immigration in West Germany in the 1950s and 1960s / Jannis Panagiotidis
Staging immigration history as urban history : a new "lieu de memoire"? / Bettina Severin-Barboutie
Afterword / Jared Poley.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Coy, Jason Philip, 1970- editor.
Poley, Jared, 1970- editor.
Schunka, Alexander, 1972- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|