Viśveśvaradarśanādimahimā, circa 1700-1850. = विश्वेश्वरदर्शनादिमहिमा, १७००-१८५०.
- circa 1700-1850.
1 item (22 leaves) : paper ; 10 x 25 cm.
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit.
Rites and ceremonies -- India.
Siva (Hindu deity).
Pilgrims and pilgrimages -- India.
Vārānasi (Uttar Pradesh, India).
- Hymns (documents)
Manuscripts, Sanskrit -- 18th century.
Manuscripts, Sanskrit -- 19th century.
Manuscripts -- India -- 18th century.
Manuscripts -- India -- 19th century.
- In Sanskrit (Devanāgarī)
- Text celebrating and discussing the benefits of visiting the pilgrimage site called Viśveśvara in the Hindu sacred city of Varāṇasī (also Kāśī). The site hosts a significant manifestation of the deity Śiva, recognized throughout India, in the form of a liṅga, a cylindrical stone icon, the emblem of the deity. The text is compiled from purāṇic sources such as the Liṅgapurāṇa, Matsyapurāṇa, Kūrmapurāṇa, Brahmāṇḍapurāṇa, Skandapurāṇa (especially its Kāśīkhaṇḍa), Garuḍapurāṇa, and others. Manuscript lacks an ending.
- Title from incipit (f. 1r).
Written in 14-17 lines per leaf.
22 leaves foliated 1-22, upper left and lower right verso.
Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Cited in:
- Listed in H.I. Poleman, Census of Indic Manuscripts in the United States and Canada (New Haven, Conn.: American Oriental Society, 1938), Poleman 4253 (UP 2409).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Coll. 390, Item 2409.
- Contained In:
- Collection of Indic Manuscripts. Item 2409
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|