A treatise on adulterations of food, and culinary poisons : exhibiting the fraudulent sophistications of bread, beer, wine, spiritous liquors, tea, coffee, cream, confectionery, vinegar, mustard, pepper, cheese, olive oil, pickles, and other articles employed in domestic economy ; and methods of detecting them / by Fredrick Accum ...
- Other records:
- Philadelphia : Printed and published by Ab'm Small, 1820.
xii, , 14-269,  p. : ill. ; 16 cm (8vo in 6s)
- nghe 3127 edl- Sobe (3) 1820 (A)
- Food adulteration and inspection.
Food -- Analysis.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphia.
- Originally published in London in the same year.
Signatures: [A]⁶ B-Y⁶ Z⁴.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edgar Fahs Smith Memorial Fund.
Smith copy acquired in 2016 from Zoe Abrams Rare Books.
Smith copy previously owned by Medical Society of the County of Albany (N.Y.) with its ms. ownership inscription "Albany Co. Med. Society" on title page.
Smith copy has ms. signature "C A Browne," probably that of Charles Albert Browne (1870-1947) chemist and biographer of Accum as well as a collector of books relating to historical chemistry; copy also inscribed Ashleigh Bryan(?)
- Penn Provenance:
- Browne, Charles Albert 1870-1947 (autograph) (Smith copy)
Medical Society of the County of Albany (N.Y.) (inscription) (Smith copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Austin, R.B. Early Amer. medical imprints, 16
Shoemaker, R.H. Checklist of American imprints for 1820-1829, 8
Lowenstein, E. Bibliography of American cookery books, 1742-1860 (3rd ed.), 86
Rink, E. Technical Americana, 1487
Cole, W.A. Chemical literature 1700-1860, 11
Landsmarks of science
- Small, Abraham, 1764?-1829, printer.
Edgar Fahs Smith Memorial Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|