George Moore : across borders [electronic resource] / edited by Christine Huguet and Fabienne Dabrigeon-Garcier.
- Amsterdam : Rodopi, ©2013.
- DQR studies in literature ; 51.
DQR studies in literature ; 51
1 online resource (281 pages) : illustrations.
- Moore, George, 1852-1933 -- Criticism and interpretation.
English literature -- History and criticism.
Authors, Irish -- 19th century -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Electronic books.
- A truly cosmopolitan Irish writer, George Moore (1852-1933) was a fascinating figure of the fin de siècle, moving between countries, crossing genre and medium boundaries, forever exploring and promulgating aesthetic trends and artistic developments: Naturalism in the novel and the theatre, Impressionism in painting, Decadence and the avant-garde, Literary Wagnerism, the Irish Literary Revival, New Woman culture. This volume on border-crossings offers a variety of critical perspectives to approach Moore multifaceted oeuvre and personality. The essays by contributors from various national backgrounds and from a wide range of disciplines establish original points of contact between literary creation, art history, Wagnerian opera, gender studies, sociology, and altogether reposition Moore as a major representative of European turn-of-the-century culture.
- Introduction / Christine Huguet and Fabienne Dabrigeon-Garcier
Exploring Artistic Borders. The Prima Donna and the Convent: Border Crossings in Evelyn Innes and Sister Teresa / Christine Huguet ; George Moore and Literary Wagnerism: A Revisitation Fabienne Gaspari: Painting and Writing in Moore's Confessions of a Young Man, Lewis Seymour and Some Women, and A Drama in Muslin / Stoddard Martin ; Moore and Whistler: Writer and Painter at Loggerheads / Isabelle Enaud-Lechien ; Max the Caricaturist and Moore: Crossing the Boundaries of Friendship / Marie-Claire Hamard.
Authorship and Authority. George Moore and Collaborative Authorship / Adrian Frazier ; Crossing Borders: Moore and Yeats in the Theatre / Eamonn R. Cantwell ; George Moore: A Man of Letters on the Margins of Reality / Alain Labau ; "Mais qui voudrait me lire en français?": Reading George Moore's Letters to Edouard Dujardin / Michel Brunet.
Grafts and Transplants. The Quest for Female Selfhood in Evelyn Innes and Sister Teresa: From Wagnerian Künstlerroman to Freudian Family Romance / Ann Heilmann and Mark Llewellyn ; "No More than a Sketch" / Mary Pierse ; Ancient Greece and the Art of Storytelling in George Moore's Aphrodite in Aulis / Konstantin Doulamis.
Spaces and the Subject. Framing the Body: George Moore's "Albert Nobbs" and the Disappearing Realist Subject / Elizabeth Grubgeld ; "The Soul with a False Bottom" and "The Deceitful Character": Analysing the Servant in the Goncourts' Germinie Lacerteux and George Moore's Esther Waters / Nathalie Saudo-Welby ; Spatial Metaphors and Liminal Elements in Esther Waters / Michele Russo ; "A Letter Came into His Mind": Fictional Correspondence in The Lake / Fabienne Dabrigeon-Garcier.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|