The ancient emotion of disgust / Edited by Donald Lateiner and Dimos Spatharas.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Emotions of the past.
Emotions of the past
xiii, 320 pages ; 25 cm.
- Aversion in literature.
Classical literature -- History and criticism.
Aversion -- History -- To 500.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "Disgust is an essential human emotion, relatively neglected even in recent scholarship taking the "emotional turn." Fifteen essays by historians and literary scholars examine disgust in theory and practice. Topics range from medicine, drama, oratory, historiography, fiction, biography, to the status of witches, eunuch priests, and theatrical professionals."-- Provided by publisher
- Introductory: theory and practice of an ambivalent emotion
Introduction: ancient and modern modes of understanding and manipulating disgust / Donald Lateiner ; Dimos Spatharas
Part I. Hellenic
Empathy and the limits of disgust in the Hippocratic corpus / George Kazantzidis
Moral disgust in Sophocles' Philoctetes / Emily Allen-Hornblower
Disgust and delight: the polysemous exclamation aiboi in Attic Comedy / Daniel Levine
Demosthenes and the use of disgust / Nick Fisher
Sex, politics and disgust in Aeschines' Against Timarchus / Dimos Spatharas
Beauty in suffering: disgust in Nicander's Theriaca / Floris Overduin
Part II. Roman and Greek Imperial
Not tonight, dear, I'm feeling a little /pig/ / Robert Kaster
Beyond disgust: the politics of fastidium in Livy's AUC / Alison Haimson-Lushkov
Witches, disgust, and anti-abortion propaganda in Imperial Rome / Debbie Felton
Evoking disgust in the Latin novels of Petronius and Apuleius / Donald Lateiner
Obscena galli praesentia: dehumanizing Cybele's eunuch priests through disgust / Marika Rauhala
Monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo?: sublate disgust and pharmakos logic in the Aesopic vitae / Tom Hawkins
Smelly bodies on stage: disgusting actors of the Roman imperial period / Mali Skotheim.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Lateiner, Donald, editor.
Spatharas, Dēmos G., editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Ancient emotion of disgust
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|