The Codex of Justinian : a new annotated translation, with parallel Latin and Greek text based on a translation by Justice Fred H. Blume / Bruce W. Frier, general editor ; editors: Serena Connolly, Simon Corcoran, Michael Crawford, John Noël Dillon, Dennis P. Kehoe, Noel Lenski, Thomas A. J. McGinn, Charles F. Pazdernik, Benet Salway ; with contributions by Timothy Kearley.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2016.
3 volumes : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Codex (Corpus juris civilis)
Roman law -- Sources.
- Text of Codex is in original Latin or Greek with English translation on facing pages.
- "The Codex of Justinian is, together with the Digest, the core of the great Byzantine compilation of Roman law called the Corpus Iuris Civilis. The Codex gathers legal proclamations issued by Roman Emperors from the second to the sixth centuries C.E. Its influence on subsequent legal development in the medieval and early modern world has been almost incalculable. But the Codex has not, until now, been credibly translated into English. This translation, with a facing Latin and Greek text (from Paul Kruger's ninth edition of the Codex), is based on one made by Justice Fred Blume in the 1920s, but left unpublished for almost a century. It is accompanied by introductions explaining the background of the translation, a bibliography and glossary, and notes that help in understanding the text. Anyone with an interest in the Codex, whether an interested novice or a professional historian, will find ample assistance here"-- Provided by publisher.
- Vol. 1. Introductory matter and Books I-III
Vol. 2. Books IV-VII
Vol. 3. Books VIII-XII.
Volume 1. Index titulorum codicis iustiniani
List of titles in the Ccodex of Jjustinian
Justice Fred H. Blume and the translation of Justinian's Codex / Timothy Kearley
Revising Justice Blume's translation of Justinian's Codex and note on the dating of constitutions / Bruce W. Frier and Noel Lenski
The Codex of Justinian : the life of a text through 1500 years / Simon Corcoran
Codex of Justinian: Text and Translation: The introductory constitutions / edited by John Noë̈l Dillon and Bruce W. Frier
First book / edited by John Noë̈l Dillon
Second book / edited by Bruce W. Frier
Third book / edited by Serena Connolly. Volume 2.
Fourth book / edited by Dennis P. Kehoe
Fifth book / edited by Thomas A. J. McGinn
Sixth book / edited by Simon Corcoran, Michael Crawford, and Benet Salway; and by Bruce W. Frier, Dennis P. Kehoe, and Thomas A.J. McGinn
Seventh book / edited by Noel Lenski. Volume 3. Eighth book / edited by Bruce W. Frier
Ninth book / edited by Thomas A. J. McGinn
Tenth book / edited by Dennis P. Kehoe
Eleventh book / edited by Dennis P. Kehoe
Twelfth book / edited by Charles F. Pazdernik
Glossary of Roman law terms
Chronological list of the constitutions in Justinian's Codex.
- "This translation, with a facing Latin and Greek text (from Paul Krüger's ninth edition of the Codex), is based on the one made by Justice Fred Blume in the 1920s, but left unpublished for almost a century." "Based on a translation by Justice Fred H. Blume, edited by Bruce W. Frier."--Dust jacket.
Includes bibliographical references (pages clxv-clxxxi).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund.
- Blume, Fred H., 1875-1971, translator.
Krueger, Paul, 1840-1926, editor.
Frier, Bruce W., 1943- editor, author of introduction, etc.
Connolly, Serena, editor.
Corcoran, Simon, editor, author of introduction, etc.
Crawford, Michael H. (Michael Hewson), 1939- editor.
Dillon, John Noël, editor.
Kehoe, Dennis P., editor.
Lenski, Noel Emmanuel, 1965- editor, author of introduction, etc.
McGinn, Thomas A. J., editor.
Pazdernik, Charles F., 1968- editor.
Salway, Benet, editor.
Kearley, Timothy, author of introduction, etc.
Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund.
- Container of: Codex (Corpus juris civilis). English (Blume and Frier)
Container of: Codex (Corpus juris civilis). Greek (Krueger)
Container of: Codex (Corpus juris civilis). Latin (Krueger)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|