The World is not Yet Flat [electronic resource] : Transport Costs Matter! / Kristian Behrens.
- Other Title:
- World Bank working papers.
- Washington, D.C. : The World Bank, 2016.
- Policy research working papers.
World Bank e-Library.
- Government document
1 online resource (55 p.)
- Local subjects:
- Transport Costs. (search)
Trucking Rates. (search)
Geographic Concentration. (search)
International Trade Exposure. (search)
Input-Output Links. (search)
- The paper provides evidence of the effects of changes in transport costs on the geographic concentration of industries. The analysis uses micro-level commodity flow data and micro-geographic plant-level data to construct industry-specific ad valorem trucking rates and continuous measures of geographic concentration. The findings show that, controlling for international trade exposure and input-output links, increasing trucking rates are significantly associated with declining geographic concentration. The effect is large: changes in trucking rates explain around 20 percent of the observed decline in geographic concentration of Canadian manufacturing industries between 1992 and 2008.
- Behrens, Kristian.
Brown, W. Mark.
- Other format:
- Print Version: Behrens, Kristian The World is not Yet Flat: Transport Costs Matter!
- Publisher Number:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|