Internationalisms : a twentieth-century history / edited by Glenda Sluga (University of Sydney), Patricia Clavin (University of Oxford).
- Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2017.
xiv, 372 pages ; 23 cm
- Internationalism -- History -- 20th century.
Internationalism -- Political aspects -- History -- 20th century.
Internationalism -- Economic aspects -- History -- 20th century.
Cultural relations -- History -- 20th century.
Transnationalism -- History -- 20th century.
Imperialism -- History -- 20th century.
Nationalism -- History -- 20th century.
World politics -- 20th century.
International relations -- History -- 20th century.
- "At the turn of the twenty-first century, historical studies of internationalism--above and beyond the call to the workers of the world to unite--have become the norm in a relatively short space of time. This shift has occurred in the context of a historical vogue for 'transnationalism,' that is, capturing experiences that traversed and transcended the borders of nation-states both within and beyond the European world. The work of the diplomatic historian Akira Iriye has been central to these developments, illuminating the traces of a distinctively twentieth century history of 'cultural internationalism' that resonated through the realms of politics. Following in the footsteps of Iriye and others--including feminist and pacifist historians who had long engaged the internationalist past--a new cohort of international historians, often sensitive to cultural analyses and with expertise in imperial and transnational as well as national histories, are now accruing broad-ranging evidence of the geographies of internationalism and the political and economic reach of its various strands at critical moments in the twentieth century"-- Provided by publisher.
- Foreword / Akira Iriye
Rethinking the history of internationalism / Sluga and Clavin
Part I: Inventing Twentieth Century Internationalisms
Religious Internationalisms / Abigail Green
The Fate of Socialist Internationalism / Patrizia Dogliani
Women, Feminisms, and Twentieth-Century Internationalisms / Glenda Sluga
Men and Markets : Global Capital and the International Economy / Patricia Clavin
Part II: States of Internationalism
Empires, States and the League of Nations / Susan Pedersen
The League of Nations, Disarmament and Internationalism / Andrew Webster
National Internationalism in Japan and China / Liang Pan
Fascist Internationalism / Madeleine Herren
Socialist Internationalism after 1914 / Talbot Imlay
Part III: The Politics of Internationalism
Internationalizing Health / Sunil Amrith
New Subjects in International Law and Order / Natasha Wheatley
The Internationalism of Human Rights / Roland Burke
Indigenous Internationalism / Hanne Hagtvedt Vik
Cold War Internationalism / Sandrine Kott.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Sluga, Glenda, 1962- editor.
Clavin, Patricia, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|