Migration and mobility in the modern age : refugees, travelers, and traffickers in Europe and Eurasia / edited by Anika Walke, Jan Musekamp, and Nicole Svobodny.
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 
ix, 339 pages ; 23 cm
- Migration, Internal -- Social aspects -- Russia.
Migration, Internal -- Social aspects -- Soviet Union.
Migration, Internal -- Social aspects -- Europe, Eastern.
Migration, Internal -- Social aspects -- Europe, Central.
Migration, Internal -- Social aspects.
- Combining methodological and theoretical approaches to migration and mobility studies with detailed analyses of historical, cultural, or social phenomena, the works collected here provide an interdisciplinary perspective on how migrations and mobility altered identities and affected images of the "other." From walkways to railroads to airports, the history of travel provides a context for considering the people and events that have shaped Central and Eastern Europe and Russia.
- Paris-St. Petersburg : shrinking spaces in the nineteenth century / Jan Musekamp
"A main station at one's front door" : bicycles, automobiles, and early adapters' dreams of personal mobility in Poland, 1885-1939 / Nathan Wood
Walking with a Tolstoyan dancer : physical and psychic mobility in Vaslav Nijinsky's diary / Nicole Svobodny
Russian resorts and European leisure : railroad vacations, "native" sites, and the making of a Russian (post)colonial identity in Manchuria, 1920s-1930s / Chia Yin Hsu
Dynamic Bohemians : the Russian Artistic Circle in Paris (Russkii Artisticheskii Kruzhok v Parizhe) / Anna Winestein
Sex at the border : trafficking as a migration problem in partitioned Poland / Keely Stauter-Halsted
Evacuation as migration : the Soviet experience during the Great Patriotic War / Lewis H. Siegelbaum and Leslie Page Moch
Far from home : Soviet and non-Soviet railway workers' experiences during the construction of the Baikal-Amur Mainline Railway (BAM), 1974-1984 / Christopher J. Ward
Traumatic mobility : motivating collective authorship in Siberian narratives of Polish exiles from the inter-revolutionary epoch (1832-62) / Elizabeth Blake
Technology, the city, and the body : Bergelson and Shklovsky in Berlin / Harriet Murav
Andrzej Stasiuk and the myth of the literary gastarbajter / George Gasyna
Journeys of identity : from Soviet Jew to German writer / Adrian Wanner.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Walke, Anika, editor.
Musekamp, Jan, editor.
Svobodny, Nicole, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Migration and mobility in the modern age
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|