2084 : the end of the world / Boualem Sansal ; translated from the French by Alison Anderson.
- Standardized Title:
- 2084. English
- Other Title:
- Twenty eighty-four
Two thousand eighty-four
- New York : Europa Editions, 2017.
252 pages ; 21 cm
- Totalitarianism -- Fiction.
Radicalism -- Fiction.
- Local subjects:
- Totalitarianism -- fiction. (search)
- "It is the year 2084. In the kingdom of Abistan—named after the prophet Abi, earthly messenger of the god Yolah—citizens submit to a single god, demonstrating their devotion by kneeling in prayer nine times a day. Autonomous thought has been banned, remembering is forbidden, and an omnipresent surveillance system instantly informs the authorities of every deviant act, thought, or idea. The kingdom is blessed and its citizens are happy, filled with a sense of purpose and piety. Those who are not—the heretics—are put to death by stoning or beheading in city squares. But Ati has met people who think differently; in ghettos and caves, hidden from the authorities, exist the last living heretics and free-thinkers of Abistan. Under their influence, Ati begins to doubt. He begins to think. Now, he will have to defend his thoughts with his life."--Amazon.com
- "Original title: 2084. La fin du monde"--Title page verso.
French Academy Grand Prix, 2016.
- Anderson, Alison, translator.
- 1609453662 (paperback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|