The past and future city : how historic preservation is reviving America's communities / Stephanie Meeks ; with Kevin C. Murphy.
- Washington, DC : Island Press, 
xv, 334 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- City planning -- Social aspects.
Historic preservation -- United States.
Cultural property -- Protection -- United States.
Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration -- United States.
Cultural property -- Protection.
Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration.
- Local subjects:
- Urban renewal. (search)
Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration. (search)
City planning -- Social aspects. (search)
- "In The Past and Future City, Stephanie Meeks, the president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, describes in detail, and with unique empirical research, the many ways that saving and restoring historic fabric can help a city create thriving neighborhoods, good jobs, and a vibrant economy. She explains the critical importance of preservation for all our communities, the ways the historic preservation field has evolved to embrace the challenges of the twenty-first century, and the innovative work being done in the preservation space now"--provided by publisher.
- Introduction: The Powers of Place
Downtown Is For People: Competing Visions of the Ideal American City
Older, Smaller, Better: How Older Buildings Enhance Urban Vitality
Making It Work for Your City: Unleashing the Power and Potential of Historic Fabric
Buildings Reborn: Keeping Historic Properties in Active Use
Our Diverse History: Towards More Inclusive History and Communities
Mitigating the Great Inversion: The Problems of Affordability and Displacement
The Greenest Buildings: Preservation, Climate Change, and the Environment
Conclusion: The Future of the Past: Livable Cities and the Future of Preservation.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 313-320) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Martin and Margy Meyerson Endowment Fund for the Built Environment Collections.
Athenaeum copy: Eden fund bookplate.
- Murphy, Kevin C., 1974- author.
Martin and Margy Meyerson Endowment Fund for the Built Environment Collections.
Murphy, Kevin C., 1974-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|