Kátia Kabanová [electronic resource] : at the Salzburg Festival / Janáček ; Christophe Marthaler, stage director ; Bel Air Media, La Sept Arte, EuroArts, UDA ; Pierre Cavassilas, director.
- Other Title:
- Kátia Kabanová at the Salzburg Festival
- [Place of publication not identified] : Bel Air Media : La Sept Arte : EuroArts : UDA,  , ©1998
- Conference Name:
- Salzburger Festspiele (1998)
1 online resource (1 video file (1 hr., 46 min., 30 sec.)) : sound, color
- Internet videos.
- Sung in Czech.
- System Details:
- Christophe Marthaler stages Leoš Janáček's opera Kátia Kabanová at the Salzburg Festival, accompanied by the music director Sylvain Cambreling. Kátia Kabanová is an opera in three acts sung in Czech, which libretto by Vincenc Červinka was inspired by Alexander Ostrovsky's play The Storm. The story takes place on the banks of the Volga. Kátia, a young, sensible and sincere woman, is married to Tichon Kabanov, whose mother profoundly despises her. She is in love with Boris and dreams of going away from the solitude of her home to experience liberty and true love. One night, when her husband is away, she secretly meets Boris, and the two lovers tell each other about their feelings. But Kátia, tormented by guilt, confesses everything when her husband comes back. Pressure and rejection by society constrain her to commit a tragic act to end her suffering. This opera by Leoš Janáček was premiered in 1921. It contains all the natural elements that Janáček loves such as wind, water, storms ... as well as a presentation of profound and true human feelings. This opera brilliantly combines Russian theater and romantic and post-romantic Czech music.
- Angela Denoke (Katia Kabanova) ; David Kuebler (Boris) ; Jane Henschel (Kabanicha) ; Hubert Delamboye (Tichon) ; Dagmar Pecková (Varvara) ; Rainer Trost (Kudrjás) ; Henk Smit (Dikoj) ; Frédéric Caton (Kuligin) ; Ulrika Precht (Glasa) ; Elisabeth Staringer (Fecklusa) ; Ulrich Voss (a man) ; Czech Philharmonic Orchestra ; Slovak Philharmonic Choir ; Sylvain Cambreling, conductor.
- Recorded 1998 July 29 Salzburger Festspiele, Salzburg, Austria.
- Cavassilas, Pierre, film director.
Marthaler, Christoph, 1951- stage director.
Denoke, Angela, singer.
Kuebler, David, singer.
Henschel, Jane, 1950- singer.
Delamboye, Hubert, singer.
Pecková, Dagmar, singer.
Trost, Rainer, singer.
Smit, Henk, singer.
Caton, Frédéric, singer.
Precht, Ulrika, singer.
Staringer, Elisabeth, singer.
Voss, Ulrich, singer.
Cambreling, Sylvain, conductor.
Bel Air Media (Firm), production company.
Sept/Arte (Firm), production company.
EuroArts Music International GmbH, production company.
UDA (Firm), production company.
Česká filharmonie, instrumentalist.
Slovenská filharmónia. Zbor. singer.
- Container of: Janáček, Leoš, 1854-1928. Kát̕a Kabanová.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|