Klaus Tennstedt conducts Mahler and Mozart [electronic resource] / Boston Symphony Orchestra & WGBH Educational Foundation under exclusive licence to International Classical Artists Ltd. ; Russ Fortier, director.
- Other Title:
- Mahler and Mozart
- [Place of publication not identified] : Boston Symphony Orchestra : WGBH Educational Foundation : International Classical Artists Ltd.,  , ©2012
1 online resource (1 video file (1 hr., 17 min., 1 sec.)) : sound, color
- Internet videos.
- The first work is sung in German.
- System Details:
- Klaus Tennstedt, the Boston Symphony Orchestra and two masterpieces of the Austro-German symphonic tradition. Somehow one barely dares to hope this programme might equal, never mind exceed, the sum of its inspiring parts. Happily, this concert is indeed a delight from start to finish. The BSO had been playing Mozart's "Haffner" Symphony regularly since 1885, with Tennstedt following in the footsteps of such august colleagues as Georges Enescu, Leonard Bergstein and Pierre Monteux. Mahler's Symphony No.4 was a different story, its first full performances in Boston coming only in March 1945. This version of Mozart's Symphony No.35 provide an exemple of first-class, lithe, "big-band" Mozart, slightly old-school but never heavy. Indeed the performance in this excerpt is an airy and joyous rendition of the piece. The Mahler interpretation too is remarkably similar to the audio recording of Tennstedt in this piece described in Penguin Guide as a "strong, spacious reading which yet conveys an innocence entirely in keeping with this most endearing of the Mahler symphonies."
- Symphony no. 4 in G major / Gustav Mahler
Symphony no. 35 in D major, K. 385 "Haffner" / Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra ; Klaus Tennstedt, conductor.
- Recorded 1977 January 15 Boston Symphony Hall, Boston, USA.
- Fortier, Russell, film director.
Tennstedt, Klaus, 1926-1998, conductor.
Boston Symphony Orchestra, performer, production company.
WGBH Educational Foundation, production company.
International Classical Artists, Ltd., production company.
- Container of: Mahler, Gustav, 1860-1911. Symphonies, no. 4, G major.
Container of: Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, 1756-1791. Symphonies, K. 385, D major.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|