Bella figura [electronic resource] : do singers have to be fat? / Marieke Schroeder ; Pars Media, in co-production with SFR, SF and ORF.
- Other Title:
- Do singers have to be fat?
- [Place of publication not identified] : pars media in co-production with SFR, SF and ORF, 
1 online resource (1 video file (58 min.)) : sound, color.
- Singing -- Physiological aspects.
Opera -- Production and direction.
Discrimination against overweight persons.
Voigt, Deborah -- Interviews.
Sweet, Sharon -- Interviews.
- Internet videos.
- System Details:
- In March of 2004, the Royal Opera Covent Garden in London cancelled its contract with Deborah Voigt. The official reason given by the casting director: too fat. The opera world was outraged. Since when can't opera singers be overweight? Since Callas, this privilege has begun to be questioned. Singers, casting directors and producers voice their opinions and prejudices, clichés, facts and fashions are explored. Are overweight singers being discriminated against? Can opera houses demand a certain appearance? Are directors compelled to behave along lines of political correctness? In all seriousness but not without a certain tongue in cheek, this documentary poses the question: is visual credibility a criterion in the world of opera today? Do we really suspend our disbelief in the opera? Can we still be captivated, enchanted and bedazzled?.
- Deborah Voigt, Sharon Sweet, vocals, interviewees.
- Vendor-supplied metadata.
- Schroeder, Marieke, film director.
Voigt, Deborah, singer, interviewee.
Sweet, Sharon, singer, interviewee.
Pars Media (Firm), production company.
Studio Filmów Rysunkowych, production company.
Svensk filmindustri, production company.
Österreichischer Rundfunk, production company.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|