Multiple perspectives on language play / edited by Nancy Bell.
- Boston ; Berlin : De Gruyter Mouton, 
- Language play and creativity ; v. 1.
Language play and creativity ; volume 1
vi, 406 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Creativity (Linguistics).
Plays on words.
- "Interest in language play and linguistic creativity has increased in recent years, and the topic has been taken up from a variety of perspectives. In this book, disparate approaches to the topic are brought together, demonstrating that a number of phenomena whose similarities might not have been immediately recognized, have an academic home under the umbrella of language play and linguistic creativity. The contributions to this collection illustrate the variety of questions that can be asked regarding the social, cognitive, emotional, political, and cultural mechanisms and significance of innovative linguistic practices and point to new directions of inquiry. Furthermore, the work exemplifies a variety of ways in which this research can be carried out, as well as the range of contexts in which it might be investigated, including second language classrooms, online settings, and workplaces. Taken together, the chapters serve to illustrate the range of work that we will be accepting in the Language Play and Creativity series; viewed individually, each makes a unique contribution to some aspect of our understanding of creative language use." -- Publisher's web site.
- Language play in conversation / Neal R. Norrick
Playing with turns, playing with action? A social-interactionist perspective / Thorsten Huth
The shape of tweets to come : automating language play in social networks / Tony Veale
"This system's so slow" : negotiating sequences of laughter and laughables in call-centre interaction / Elizabeth Holt
Laughter as a "serious business" : Clients' laughter in prenatal screening for Down's syndrome / Olga Zayts, Stephanie Schnurr
Jocular language play, social action and (dis)affiliation in conversational interaction / Michael Haugh
"Everything he says to me it's like he stabs me in the face" : frontstage and backstage reactions to teasing / Valeria Sinkeviciute
Cities, conviviality and double-edged language play / Emi Otsuji, Alastair Pennycook
Building rapport and a sense of communal identity through play in a second language classroom / David Hann
The first English (EFL) lesson : initial settings or the emergence of a playful classroom culture / Jet Van Dam, Anne Bannink
The emergence of creativity in L2 English : a usage-based case-study / Søren W. Eskildsen
Teaching language learners how to understand sarcasm in L2 English / Jiyun Kim
Anti-language : linguistic innovation, identity construction, and group affiliation among emerging speech communities / Natalie Lefkowitz, John S. Hedgcock
Celebrations of a satirical song : ideologies of anti-racism in the media / Julia McKinney, Elaine W. Chun.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Bell, Nancy, 1969- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|