Anatomy of the castle / John Gibson.
- [New York] : MetroBooks [an imprint of Friedman/Fairfax Publishers], [©2001].
208 pages : color illustrations (some folded) ; 29 cm
- Castles -- History.
Fortification -- History.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- Introduction: The evolution of fortifications. What is a castle?; The evolution of fortified settlements; Warfare in the classical world; Siege warfare
[1.] The first castles. Roman castles; Motte-and-Bailey castles; The Norman keep
[2.] Crusader castles and their legacy. The Holy Land; The reconquest of Spain; Crusades in France and Eastern Europe
[3.] The high point of the castle. Western Europe's castle builders; Major design features
[4.] Change, decline and renewal. The age of the siege cannon; Scotland and Ireland; Looking eastward; The rise of the artillery fort
[5.] Inside the castle walls. Living in the medieval castle; Recreation and leisure
[6.] The end of it all.
- "This edition published by Metrobooks by arrangement with Saraband"--T.p. verso.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 208) and index.
- Local notes:
- Frost Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2010 by Robert Frost.
Frost Collection copy: dust jacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Frost, Robert (donor) (Frost Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Robert Frost Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|