2001: a space odyssey / by Arthur C. Clarke.
- New York : New American Library,  , ©1968
221 pages, 16 pages of plates : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Twenty-first century -- Fiction.
Computers -- Fiction.
Space vehicles -- Fiction.
Human-computer interaction -- Fiction.
Science fiction, English.
- Science fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- When an enigmatic monolith is found buried on the moon, scientists are amazed to discover that it's at least 3 million years old. Even more amazing, after it's unearthed the artifact releases a powerful signal aimed at Saturn. What sort of alarm has been triggered? To find out, a manned spacecraft, the Discovery, is sent to investigate. Its crew is highly trained--the best--and they are assisted by a self-aware computer, the ultra-capable HAL 9000. But HAL's programming has been patterned after the human mind a little too well. He is capable of guilt, neurosis, even murder, and he controls every single one of Discovery's components. The crew must overthrow this digital psychotic if they hope to make their rendezvous with the entities that are responsible not just for the monolith, but maybe even for human civilization.
- "A Signet Book'
"Based on a screenplay by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke."
Sequel: 2010, odyssey 2.
Movie tie-in edition.
First printing, July 1968.
- Local notes:
- Adams Collection copies presented to the Penn Libraries in 2015 by Dr. Mark B. Adams.
Adams Collection copy 2 is undated third printing. Also some handwritten notes on the inside back cover, and a recipe (cut from a newspaper) laid in.
- Penn Provenance:
- Adams, Mark B. (donor) (Adams Collection copies)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database, 253799
Internet Speculative Fiction Database, 580406
- Kubrick, Stanley, author.
Mark B. Adams Science Fiction Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Clarke, Arthur C. (Arthur Charles), 1917-2008. 2001; a space odyssey.
- Publisher Number:
- Q3580 Signet Books
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|