Animal health at the crossroads [electronic resource] : preventing, detecting, and diagnosing animal diseases / Committee on Assessing the Nation's Framework for Addressing Animal Diseases, Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources, Division on Earth and Life Studies.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Preventing, detecting, and diagnosing animal diseases
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, ©2005.
1 online resource (xx, 266 pages) : illustrations, charts
- Animals -- Diseases -- United States.
Veterinary medicine -- Diagnosis -- United States.
Veterinary public health -- United States.
- Medical subjects:
- Animal Diseases
- Electronic books.
- The confirmed case of "mad cow" disease (BSE) in June 2005 illustrates the economic impact of disease outbreaks, as additional countries closed their markets to U.S. beef and beef products. Emerging diseases also threaten public health--11 out of 12 of the major global disease outbreaks over the last decade were from zoonotic agents (that spread from animals to humans). Animal Health at the Crossroads: Preventing, Detecting, and Diagnosing Animal Diseases finds that, in general, the U.S. animal health framework has been slow to take advantage of state-of-the-art technologies being used now to protect public health; better diagnostic tests for identifying all animal diseases should be made a priority. The report also recommends that the nation establish a high-level, authoritative, and accountable coordinating mechanism to engage and enhance partnerships among local, state, and federal agencies, and the private sector.
- State and quality of the current system
Assessment of current framework: case studies
Gaps in the animal health framework
Recommendations for strengthening the animal health framework.
- Includes bibliographical references.
Description based on print version record.
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Assessing the Nation's Framework for Addressing Animal Diseases.
- Other format:
- Print version: Animal health at the crossroads.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|