Degas to Picasso : creating modernism in France : works from the Ursula & R. Stanley Johnson Family Collection / Colin Harrison with Jon & Linda Whiteley and Ursula & R. Stanley Johnson.
- Oxford : Ashmolean Museum, 2017.
200 pages : illustrations (some color), portraits ; 28 cm
- Art, French -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Art, French -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
Modernism (Art) -- France -- Exhibitions.
Art -- Private collections -- United States -- Exhibitions.
Johnson, Ursula M. -- Art collections -- Exhibitions.
Johnson, R. Stanley (Robert Stanley), 1929- -- Art collections -- Exhibitions.
Art -- Private collections
- Local subjects:
- Johnson Family Collection -- Art collections -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Published to coincide with the exhibition of the same name, this will explore the evolution of modernism in French art between c. 1800 and 1940. Although the traditional view of French art as a steady progression from the representational to the abstract, notably through the genre of landscape, has long been rejected, the meanings of modernism have never been examined in all their complexity. The exhibition will be selected from the private collection of Stanley and Ursula Johnson. Although the Johnson Family Collection is well known, only one substantial exhibition from the holdings has ever been shown: Cubism and La Section d'Or in 1991. This new exhibition is a rare opportunity to show a substantial selection from across the entire collection. Not only do these works speak for themselves, they will constitute an exhibition both enjoyable for the general public, and thought-provoking for the specialist.
- Collecting the art of France : a moveable feast / Ursula and R. Stanley Johnson
The art of drawing in France : from Neo-Classicism to Cubism / Jon Whiteley
Catalogue / Colin Harrison, Jon & Linda Whiteley.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at the Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford, England from February 10 2017-May 7 2017.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 196-200).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
- Whiteley, Jon, contributor.
Whiteley, Linda, contributor.
Johnson, Ursula M., contributor.
Johnson, R. Stanley (Robert Stanley), 1929- contributor.
Ashmolean Museum, host institution.
Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|