Identity Formation and Diversity in the Early Medieval Baltic and Beyond : Communicators and Communication / edited by Johan Callmer, Ingrid Gustin, Mats Roslund.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Northern world ; v. 75.
The northern world : North Europe and the Baltic, c. 400-1700 AD. : peoples, economics and cultures ; volume 75
xii, 298 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Baltic States -- Ethnic relations -- History.
Baltic States -- Social life and customs.
Ethnicity -- Baltic States -- History -- To 1500.
Cultural pluralism -- Baltic States -- History -- To 1500.
Intercultural communication -- Baltic States -- History -- To 1500.
Baltic States -- History.
Kievan Rus -- History.
Baltic States -- Antiquities.
Manners and customs
Europe -- Kievan Rus
- "In Identity Formation and Diversity in the Early Medieval Baltic and Beyond, the Viking World in the East is made more heterogeneous. Baltic Finnic groups, Balts and Sami are integrated into the history dominated by Scandinavians and Slavs. Interaction in the region between Eastern Middle Sweden, Finland, Estonia and North Western Russia is set against varied cultural expressions of identities. Ten scholars approach the topic from different angles, with case studies on the roots of diversity, burials with horses, Staraya Ladoga as a nodal point of long-distance routes, Rus' warrior identities, early Eastern Christianity, interaction between the Baltic Finns and the Svear, the first phases of ar-Rus dominion, the distribution of Carolingian swords, and Dirhams in the Baltic region. Contributors are Johan Callmer, Ingrid Gustin, Charlotte Hedenstierna-Jonson, Valter Lang, John Howard Lind, Marika Mägi, Mats Roslund, Søren Sindbaek, Anne Stalsberg, and Tuukka Talvio"--Provided by publisher.
- Crossing cultural boundaries : introduction / Johan Callmer, Ingrid Gustin and Mats Roslund
Societies east and west of the Baltic Sea : prehistoric culture contacts revisited / Marika Magi
Riding to the afterworld : burying with horses and riding equipment in Estonia and the Baltic Rim / Valter Lang
A site of intersection : Staraya Ladoga, eastern silver, and long-distance communication networks in early medieval Europe / Soren M. Sindbaek
Creating a cultural expression : on Rus' identity and material culture / Charlotte Hedenstierna-Jonson
"Varangian Christianity" and the veneration of Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian saints in early Rus' / John H. Lind
The rise of the dominion of the ar-Rus in the northern parts of Eastern Europe, seventh to ninth centuries A.D. : a case of culture construction / Johan Callmer
Bringing "the periphery" into focus : social interaction between Baltic Finns and the Svear in the Viking age and Crusade period (c. 800 to 1200) / Mats Roslund
Contacts, identity, and hybridity : objects from western Finland in the Birka graves / Ingrid Gustin
Swords from the Carolingian Empire to the Baltic Sea and beyond / Anne Stalsberg
Dirham hoards from the Gulf of Finland region / Tuukka Talvio.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Callmer, Johan, editor.
Gustin, Ingrid, editor.
Roslund, Mats, editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|